I think I've found a partial answer to my protein woes

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/3/12 2:41 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
If you've been following along with me since the beginning...then you know I've had an AWFUL time finding a source of protein that I can tolerate.  I thought I had it all sorted out by mixing my protein powder in coffee but my surgeon nipped that in the bud and told me to stay away from the coffee.

Anyway, THIS might be a good start to my problem:  Have you ever tried any of these and if so, how do they compare to Slim Jim?

http://www26.netrition.com/ostrim_page.html

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

moonglo82
on 4/3/12 2:47 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I've never been a big Slim Jim person, but there are brands of beef jerky out there that do not have much in the way of fat in them. My husband loves beef jerky... in fact, he had some for dinner last night while I sipped on my liquids. I'll have to ask him what kinds work best!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/12 2:51 am - WV
I would give this a try, but unfortunately for me, meat is one of the things that my new tummy has a very hard time handling. More than two bites of any meat, and it's not going to stay put. Sometimes two bites is too much. Not fun. For me, I've been using the Adkins bars. The one that I get has 17 grams of protein and is sugar free. I buy them at Wal-Mart in the vitamin aisle. I don't remember all the nutritional facts off the top of my head, but I use one as a meal. It's helped me get my protein in because I have not been able to tolerate any of the shakes. Even the premade ones.
INgirl
on 4/3/12 2:53 am
I love them! My favorite flavors are Natural, teriyaki, and BBQ.. They are always in my purse, and are a great on the go meal for me. I also love Slim Jims, and the natural flavor ostrich/beef one comes the closest to the flavor of those.
blueeyedgal
on 4/3/12 2:54 am - AL
VSG on 02/03/12
Have not heard of them but let us know if they work for you.

blueeyedgal    
Christa :]
on 4/3/12 2:58 am - MI
VSG on 03/13/12
I looked and they look wonderful! But you just gave me a a great idea! THANK YOU! i am also having trouble with protein. I forgot that I have a huge bag of Venison Pepper Sticks and  venison summer sausage with cheese in it, in my freezer!!!

Margo N.
on 4/3/12 2:59 am
I like the Ostrim- be aware that high sodium in jerky products can cause a little bit of water retention, but this is not really a long term problem, unless you are sodium sensitive.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/3/12 3:02 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
How about the boxes of cereal that you eat with milk? Anyone tried those?

http://www26.netrition.com/cgi/advanced_search.cgi

INgirl
on 4/3/12 3:07 am
My husband (also a low-carber) eats those on occasion.. I got a bunch of the mini-bags for him to try.. he said they were alright. I won't go near them as I could see that either a. it'd be waaay too filling for my stomach, or b. still too carby, and and I don't really want to go there and risk waking the carb cravings, done that once.. it's distracting!

Special K has a protein cereal out too, got that sitting here unopened, and he did try Hi-Lo and thought it too was ok for satisfying the breakfast cereal wants.
Lee ~
on 4/3/12 3:03 am - CA
 At two years out, these still give me a tummy ache.  They sit really hard even with tons of chewing. I would get some at GNC and give them a try before ordering a boat lad.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views