Beef tendon soup recipe

Georgi
on 4/3/12 4:51 am - CA
Post Date: 4/3/12 11:39 am
I was looking in the internet for this Nilaga recipe, but I found that other people have diferent version of it....so, I'm just  going to write the way I make it, since I like my way of doing it better.

2 lbs of beef tendons  cut in 3 inch pieces
1/2  onion
1/2 green cabbage cut in quarters
beef or chicken stock ( I use beef and the brand that is the best is from knorr, the powder)
use it  depending how strong or salty you want your soup to taste.

4 to 6 slices of fresh ginger ( I peel it before I slice it)
1/2 lbs of fresh green beans ( I like to use the fresh baby green beans when available)
2 peeled potatoes ( peeled and cut in big chunks)

Put tendons in a large pot with water to cover about  4 inches above tendons, put the onion and cover pot and after it starts boiling bring down heat to low for simmer. ( I add about 2 slices of ginger at this time and 2 tbs of the beef broth powder).
cook tendon until tender, (I don't use a pressure cooker because they scare me !!)
I check often , they take about 2 or more hours to cook in a regular pot.

When tendons are tender but not overly mushy, I put in the vegetables and rest of the ginger slices, just keep the lid of from pot. Make sure you keep an eye on the vegatables, so you don't over cook them.
taste soup , if it needs more beef broth powder add in small increments until your happy with the flavor.
NOTE: I do add more water to the soup while cooking, then I just add more powder broth if needed, you also do this so the tendons won't dry out and have enough water to cover the veggies.
You can buy tendons in any asian market, or if you can't find them you can also use the beef feet.
Let me how it goes .

HW 312  SW 258  CW 248  GW 180

MizzEvil
on 4/3/12 5:02 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
Beef tendon or tenderloin?
Georgi
on 4/3/12 5:51 am, edited 4/3/12 10:51 am - CA
Beef tendon.....other VSG members ask me for this recipe. Beef tendon has almost no fat and its all protein. It is very common in Asian culture and also in Mexico they use it in beef soup with vegetables.  The recipe I'm sharing is a Filipino soup called Nilaga. I have been cooking Filipino food for overr 20 years, and not to mention any Mexican recipe since I lived in Mexico most of my life. I love cooking  for my family and friends.
Georgi
on 4/3/12 10:50 am - CA
SuzanneR
on 4/3/12 6:28 am - Randolph, NJ
This looks great. I am a huge fan of beef tendon Pho and this is close enough for me without the noodles of course thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views