Work out contradiction

Assilem7779
on 4/4/12 3:14 am
VSG on 01/03/12
 I just recently hired a personal trainer and he has set up a workout plan for me...but he also told me what I need to eat....he does know about my surgery and he said that I need to introduce carb into my diet so that i can have energy but I love love love carbs...so my question is if your trainer told you the same???? Help 
   HW-257 PRE-OP-246 CW-223 GOAL-140                 
JAN-26lbs FEB-      MAR-     APR-     MAY-     JUN-     JULY-     AUG-     SEPT-     OCT-     NOV-     DEC-            
tripmom02
on 4/4/12 3:18 am - NJ
 I usually have something carby before a longer or harder workout, but I make sure to log it and watch it, and then have something heavy in the protein area after my workout is complete. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Assilem7779
on 4/4/12 3:23 am
VSG on 01/03/12
 Thanks I'm just a lil nervous about adding it to my diet..
tripmom02
on 4/4/12 3:36 am - NJ
 Find something that isn't triggery for you, I will usually have like a glass of milk or something (does not make me crave other carbs, but gives a pretty good amount of them in a serving). 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 3:40 am
My trainer said the exact same thing. I posted here for advice. What I took away was this:
Some people do a carby snack before a workout. Some choose to do a high protein snack before a workout and have no issues with energy. This, I thought, gave me some wiggle room.

I started doing a half and half snack. A little protein, a little carby something like three whole wheat crackers. Then post workout, I'd have a shake with 20 grams protein. Well, I've ditched the carb part of the snack and do a protein snack. I feel just as good, have the same amount of energy. Now I usually do a 60 calorie 8 grm protein string cheese (has a few carbs), or a 1/2 cup of Fage 0% (again, just a few carbs), or an ounce of chicken or turkey about a half hour before my workout. When I get home, I still do a protein shake.

My calories went up about a 100 a day doing this, but with the added exercise, I'm still losing about 2+ pounds per week.
laurak712
on 4/4/12 3:47 am - New Braunfels, TX
I've been working our for 25 years and have always had a protein shake before my workouts.  I lift heavy weights and do cardio.  My workouts are at least an hour and a half.  I never have a problem with energy BUT I do put a few berries or a piece of banana in my shake.

Laura

Height 5' 7

moonglo82
on 4/4/12 4:05 am
VSG on 03/29/12
You may find that being very careful about what kind of carbs you are introducing before workouts makes a difference too. A slice of bread would probably make me want more carbs, but a few peach or apple slices paired with some cheese might not have the same effect (at least that was my experience preop... we'll see once I can eat again!)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

julesGA
on 4/4/12 4:36 am - Brunswick, GA
 I have a slice of whole wheat bread with some peanut butter and a protien shake for dinner.  So far it has worked fine for me.  

rhearob
on 4/4/12 5:21 am - TN
 Does your program have a NUT?  If so talk to them, if not talk to your surgeon.  Personal trainers have a WIDE variety of experience levels.  Some are practical;ly exercose physiologists, some are muscular high school boys who learned workouts from their athletic coaches.  

You mentioned that he knew about your surgery, but does he really know what it means?

Before I went and starte adding carbs back to my diet, I would definitely talk to the MEDICAL staff at your clinic about it.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

INgirl
on 4/4/12 7:03 am, edited 4/4/12 7:07 am
Years ago, when I did have a personal trainer- the only thing she advocated was protein right after a hard workout. Her theory was if we had fat reserves, we had no reason to fuel on carbs unless we were doing serious elite athletic training (long, long runs.. long biking.. that sort.) For my hour of brutal cardio plus strength I was doing, a protein shake or stick afterwards worked.. I never suffered for energy..

Now, I hike- hilly and miles.. I have never had an energy issue once I was past the first couple months of healing/adjusting.. and I do the same.. I hike, drink my fluids during it- and fini**** with an Ostrim meat stick and maybe a carbmaster yogurt.

Edited: she was a degreed dietitian and exercise physiologist, so between what I already knew and her advice, I trusted her.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views