Upset stomach

Fangirl_says
on 4/6/12 2:22 am - NC
Not sure what's going on with me. I posted here a few weeks ago asking about dairy intolerance, which I believed was causing my stomach cramps, diarrhea and general icky tummy feeling. I tried lactaid, which really didn't help. I switched to soy milk, which seemed to help some. As of yesterday, I went 100 percent dairy-free. This morning, I had egg protein in my coffee and felt okay most of the morning. Then I had a serving of turkey spam (80 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 9 grams protein) and my stomach started bothering me again. I've had the turkey spam before, so I doubt that is causing a problem. I ate a boiled egg yesterday, and that didn't bother me. I can't put my finger on what's going on!

Proteins in general seem to sit "heavy" in my stomach (although I chew well and don't over-eat.) On the other hand, I feel like I could eat most carbs forever and not have a problem.

BTW, I'm not sick; other than my stomach, I feel fine. But it did make me feel so crummy yesterday that I had to leave work early.

Does anyone have any advice?

moonglo82
on 4/6/12 2:45 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Protein generally will sit heavier in our stomachs, and carbs will not, for most of us (or so I have heard).

I'm still pretty new to all of this, so I'm not sure what to say, other than have you had any bloodwork done lately? Perhaps the upset stomach is an indicator of something that needs to be addressed medically?

Feel better soon!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Fangirl_says
on 4/6/12 2:54 am - NC
Thank you!

I did just have some bloodwork done for my regular appointment with the surgeon later this month, so maybe it will show something. :)

Ms. Poker Face
on 4/6/12 8:26 am
A couple things.  I have found some artificial sweetners give me gas and an upset stomach.  Stevia (which I love!) makes me really gassy and also diarrhea.  I still do splenda, but have a bit of gas from time to time.  Lots of sugar free items have the artificial sweetners, including protein drinks.  Consider if this is your issue.

Because I largely avoid sugar, when I eat some, it can make me crampy and feel icky.  

I also had a stomach virus this week so that made me crampy, gassy and gave me diarrhea.  Blah.  

Feel better!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Fangirl_says
on 4/6/12 8:38 am - NC
Thank you! I hope you feel better, too!

I'm actually feeling better again this afternoon. I had a protein shake with soy milk and soy protein powder, and it didn't upset my stomach at all. I suspect that my main problem is indeed the dairy. I'm going to stay off of it as much as possible for the next few days and see how it goes. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views