Calories vs Sodium

InnerMe
on 4/10/12 3:01 pm
Sometimes in order to get my liquids in at the end of the day I need something that is not sweet and not plain water or I just can't force myself to drink it. I have been having a cup of broth (5 calories) made from a bouillon cube from time to time to help me with this and it was just the thing to allow me to reach my fluid goal. I knew there was a lot of sodium in the broth, but tonight I realized it's not just a lot, it's a buttload!!! I also love low sodium spicy V8 and I think that might be a good alternative, however it has 50 calories and 11 carbs per cup. What do you think is more important, low sodium or low cal/carb? Also if anyone has any ideas for something other then these two things that might fit the bill (not coffee or tea)  I'd love to hear them!
 Heather

54 lbs lost pre-op, VSG 3/16/12   
ruggie
on 4/10/12 3:07 pm - Sacramento, CA
My vote is low-cal, low-carb.  I find it difficult to go over my daily recommended sodium because of the small portions I eat, and also because I'm not eating high-sodium sources anymore (restaurant food, frozen food, processed food). 

But your V8 example isn't horrible - if you want it, just make sure you're not exceeding 40-50 g carbs a day.  The carbs keep me hungry; encourage me to overeat.  Sodium does not.

My opinion.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

InnerMe
on 4/11/12 4:43 pm
Good point about sodium not causing the carb cravings!
 Heather

sleeved2bfree
on 4/10/12 3:30 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 Once I had a blocked salivary gland and the doctor had me drink salted lemon water. Sounds terrible but it wasn't..Ijust kept telling myself it was the weakest margarita ever...what if you had crystal light lemonade with a salted rim? No alcohol added of course. 
InnerMe
on 4/11/12 4:46 pm
That might be just what I need for a fun change from time to time!
 Heather

InnerMe
on 4/11/12 4:47 pm
That's a great idea! I need to get some of this. Thanks!
 Heather

califsleevin
on 4/11/12 12:58 am - CA
Go for the V8.

Along with being low in sodium, it's very high in potassium which we need and don't get much of in our restricted volume diets, and even less so for those doing the deficiency-laden low carb diets. We typically need 4-5 times as much potassium as sodium to keep things in balance, and our typical American diet usually reverses that. Potassium is difficult to supplement without prescription and most of the best sources are tied closely to carbs - potatoes, bananas, melons, etc. (or to be low carb, avocado which is much higher in calories than any of the others.)

So, while it's difficult to overdo the sodium with our limited intake, it's even easier to be potassium deficient. Your low sodium V8 juices are about as dense of a source as you will find without getting into prescription supplements, and is also about as calorie/carb friendly to boot. If you like it, go for it - I get it by the caseload at Costco.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

InnerMe
on 4/11/12 4:56 pm
I didn't realize V8 had so much potassium. I just checked and there is no potassium in my BA chewables. Thanks for the info!
 Heather

califsleevin
on 4/12/12 7:29 am - CA
On April 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Pacific Time, InnerMe wrote:
I didn't realize V8 had so much potassium. I just checked and there is no potassium in my BA chewables. Thanks for the info!
That's about right - if there is any at all in our multivitamins it's no more than 3% of RDA because that's the FDA's limit for over the counter supplements. So, we have to get it from our food or by prescription.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views