My poor husband...

katie M.
on 4/13/12 2:25 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Ok so my husband hasn't had a proper meal in what seems like a month b/c of my pre-op and post-op diet.  I wanted to make something for dinner tomorrow night that the family could eat together somewhat "normally" (if theres any such thing as normal anymore!)....he loves chili and was wondering if I made turkey chili, if that was something that would be ok for someone who just started out in the soft food stage to eat?  I don't see it in my food list from my NUT, but I don't see anywhere that it says NOT to eat it either.  I know a lot of you mention Wendy's chili, so I was just curious.  Thanks!

Ticker id: TV5w
jarabacoagirl
on 4/13/12 2:33 am
VSG on 12/17/12
I hear each person is different.  I haven't had the surgery yet but I think that's considered soft.  HOWEVER, beans can be hard to digiestt.  So I try maybe 2 bites and weight 20 mins see how you do. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

ZanneWA
on 4/13/12 2:43 am - Port Townsend, WA
VSG on 03/27/12
 I had surgery a couple of days ahead of you, and my first trial of chili wasn't a success for me.  It's one of two things I thought I'd be okay with (the other is tuna w/mayo) that just sit like a rock in my sleeve.  I've had better luck with ground meat.  Last night I made mini meatballs.  I had 2 with a couple of bites of sauteed spinach, and I finally felt like I had eaten a real meal!  I didn't realize how much I'd miss cooking!
 HW: 417; SW: 396.5; CW: 328.6.

Kevin H.
on 4/13/12 2:43 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 As long as your on that stage in your diet and its not too spicy I think many VSG folks enjoy chili.  I just tried to enjoy it too soon :P  2 weeks post op was not long enough lol.

slimpickins5280
on 4/13/12 2:45 am - CO
I lived on Wendy's chili for the soft food stage. I had no problems - the beans were fine for me. I had to try because I had to go my grandmother's funeral at 2 weeks post op. It was about the only thing I could handle besides soups and protein shakes and living in a hotel for 3 days didn't give me a lot of options.

I really never had a problem with it.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

shrinkingangel
on 4/13/12 2:47 am - Columbia, SC

Chili was not something I would have tried early on. I am almost 4 months out and am just now getting to where I would try that. For me I have taken it pretty slowly and tried individual things before trying a 'combo' type food. For example I would try just the beans or just the turkey meat, etc. before attempting the finished actual chili. I've found that tomatoes can be too acidic for me and will cause pain, and that beans are really gas producing which can be very painful as well as embarassing. So - my suggestion is to go slowly there. But I do understand the need to have 'family' meals. Some of the earlier things we all enjoyed together were: homemade chicken soup, omelettes or scrambled eggs w/ ham and cheese, fish and veggies, and broiled chicken. Best of luck to you!

nicola3
on 4/13/12 2:50 am
my doctor said chili was fine at this point...almost 4weeks out. i had some from wendys the other day & just had only a few of the beans with mostly meat....as long as i really chewed it good it went down fine....about 4 bites! Lol
    Vsg  3/19/12 sw 236 cw 216 gw 150  
MizzEvil
on 4/13/12 2:51 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
My surgeons info says not to eat ANY meats until solids (not even blended), but I've read where people have been able to eat Wendy's chili, canned chickens/tunas, etc during their soft food stage.

katie M.
on 4/13/12 3:13 am
VSG on 03/29/12
My soft food stage says I can have seafood, tuna & chicken salad.  I'm not supposed to have red meat for 6 months...thats why I was going to use turkey. 
hrford
on 4/13/12 4:05 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I know every doc is different but the 6 months on meat for mine has to do with a steak.  it's really hard to digest, not with ground meat.  I always have a lean sirloin steak ground for me so I'm getting little fat (it actually has less than the turkey).

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views