exercising alot, whats the problem

hrford
on 4/17/12 3:00 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 First thing that comes to my mind is how much water are you drinking.  If you are working out hard, plus the higher protein you really should be drinking 100oz of water.  Depending on how much you weigh right now I"d drop the 1200 down a couple hundred too.  That seems a good place to be to maintain but not necessarily lose, especially a you get lose more weight your BMR drops too.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Margo N.
on 4/19/12 4:27 am
A couple things that may help:

First, the calorie estimates on gym machines, if you are using them, are often very inaccurate - they were calibrated, often, using men with a lot of muscle mass, who burn lots of calories just because of their muscle. Women at lower levels of fitness can be burning hundreds of calories LESS than the machines indicate.

Second, if you are mostly doing cardio - this may not be conducive to as much fat loss as a program emphasising resistance training (weights) and short intervals of high-intensity cardio (H.I.I.T.). Cardio is great for your heart - and thus a necessary component of good fitness, but there is a lot of research that calls into question its efficacy in terms of weight loss.

Third, if you ARE doing resistance training, you may be losing fat and gaining muscle and this will often look like a stall on the scale (especially now that you are a year out and losing more slowly anyway) - but your size would be reducing and you would be reducing your body fat percentage - which is more important to your health than the number on the scale. This has been my recent experience - I am looking WAY more toned, and clothing that was snug is now fitting perfectly, but I have actually gained a couple pounds, even though my body fat percentage has dropped by a few percentage points.

Fourth, you may want to reduce your calories a bit. It is COMPLETELY unfair, but I DO work out, and DO eat low carb / high protein and DO get in my fluids, and still am disgusted to find that I MAINTAIN at 1200 calories (what normal people refer to as a starvation diet!) and only lose at 100 calories or less. It sucks, but it is what it is. I am trying to decide if I want to drop a few more pounds and know that what I would need to do is cut calories to 800-1000 and REALLY focus on solid proteins with some veg, and not much else in terms of variety in my diet (So, cut the nuts, nut butters, and dairy) - and who knows if I could maintain that loss without continuing to be more restrictive than I would like to be long-term in terms of calories and variety. (I am continuing to lose some fat, but maintaining my weight at about 1200 calories, less than 30 net carbs/day, about 100 -120 grams of protein a day - so actually pretty high in fat, and I try to stick to healthier fats.)

Good luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

ot2005byrd
on 4/20/12 10:01 am
I have a bodybugg to track calorie burn. Going back to the basics low low carb and my protein has always been good. I have started weight training so I'm sure this will help in the process. I am gonna keep it at 1200 calories. Actually my dietician is only worried about the carbs and protein and says not to concentrate on calories that much. So I started relogging my food on my fitness pal and adding more weight training as I was going way overboard with cardio. I have done turbo fire, some of power 90x but it was a bit boring, and some insanity workouts just to mix things up a bit. Recently started jogging and thats a challenge so trying to keep increasing my time and distance. TRUST ME I didn't come this far to quit. So I'm gonna try this for a month and see how it goes. I did realize I was eating more carbs than I thought not overboard or anything but more than the 50 g my dietician recommends. I am not totally stuck on my weigh though as long as I am getting smaller then I'm good. Thanks for your comments.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views