Gout? No Thank You!

Pooch2
on 4/17/12 5:54 am
I have battled Gout for about a decade, I have not had an episode almost 2 years, I am certain that taking my meds (alipurinal) daily and dieting for the last year and a half, are the reasons!!  I was researching making Kefir cottage cheese today and came upon this link to a Lifescript, healthy living for women, article published April 16, 2012 by Dorothy Foltz-Gray, regarding the foods that promote Gout, (high Uric Acid levels) and ten foods that supposedly do the opposite.  I'm sure its not the be all end all of info but they resonated with my education about Gout, so I thought others might like a refresher.   (especially if your thinking of drinking alcohol)   I want off my meds, slowing from 200 mgs to 100 and then off...(while I watch my Uric Acid levels in my blood work, which has been dropping)  

www.lifescript.com/health/centers/arthritis/articles/your_an ti_gout_food_plan.aspx

PS. advance too all the pages by the page # links at the bottom
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
dmmassengale09
on 4/17/12 6:00 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 06/21/12
I've never had gout until this past week.  That's the reason I'm having to put my surgery off until next week.  I truly hope it isn't something I'm going to be faced with for the rest of my life.
Pooch2
on 4/17/12 6:05 am
I hope your not either but I was allowed to start my Gout meds back up on day 5, post op. and the pills are small and the good news is, I think the diet change should make it go away.... Now I take my meds without fail because they like to use NSAIDS to knock down the inflammation and its better that our sleeves don't have NSAIDS...  Good luck next week.......
HowieG
on 4/17/12 6:27 am
VSG on 03/28/12
I was a gout sufferer too. I take alipurinal daily as well and I haven't had an attack for years. What I want to ask is what can I do top never have it again. Do I take alipurinal for the rest of my life. I am not an alcohol drinker so I don't have to worry about that.
Would love to hear how you stay away from GOUT
To infinity and beyond - I have an ongoing blog Pre -> Post - Feel free to drop in 
                                  http://howiegordonadaped.blogspot.com/ 

Pooch2
on 4/17/12 1:13 pm
Well I am not sure but I plan on keeping some of these foods at the link above in mind, as I try and get off my meds......I will have to let you know, how that goes, over the next 3 months or so.....and maybe others have a better suggestion for you....
sleeved2bfree
on 4/17/12 2:04 pm
VSG on 02/08/12
 I have never had a gout attach, but my purine levels were high so the doctor suggested I take preventative dietary measures. That was pre-op. Since my surgery I have been so consumed with the right things to eat for the sleeve, I forgot to watch the purines. Yes, the shell fish has been good. Thank you for the reminder to get back on track. 
doggz109
on 4/17/12 2:28 pm, edited 4/17/12 2:30 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I have gout also.....diagnosed with it 4 years ago.  I have been on allopurinol (300mg daily) for the past three years without a single attack.

My surgeon said I would likely have an attack soon after surgery even with meds but I am 3 months out and have yet to even have a "tickle" in my feet.

Hopefully this keeps up.  I would love to get off my gout meds but I was told that even losing weight would not really do anything to help it because it was mainly due to blood chemistry and my kidneys not being too efficient....neither which would change by losing weight.

Guess we shall see.  Thanks for the link!

EDIT:  I wanted to add to that at least my doc thinks that diet is only about 10-20% of why we get gout.  A lot of it is hereditary and other factors besides diet.

However, that article is spot on.  No alcohol, limited shellfish, and eat cherries (the flavinoids help to reduce uric acid in the blood.

Other tips that have helped me:  drink as much water as you can daily (helps your kidneys eliminate the toxins in your blood), get as much exercise as you can (activity prevents the uric acid from settling in your joints and improves circulation), and at least in my case.....eliminating both ALCOHOL and SODA has been a great improvement.

Pooch2
on 4/17/12 3:00 pm
Well that is discouraging, I have not had a conversation with my PCP about getting off meds, however, I watch my levels and I have noticed in the last 6-8 months that my Uric Acid levels have gone down, with same dosage of alipurnial, so I have some hope because it was my diet that changed dramatically in that time period...  I will not go cold turkey and if the levels go back up over time with a dosage reduction or the hint of a flare up...I will dose back up.... I wanted to wait until my sleeve was good and healed before I even tried to experiment....that time had now come......
doggz109
on 4/17/12 5:29 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Awesome if you are able to reduce or get off it....let me know!  I would love to get off mine.  However, it means no more attacks....I am more than fine taking that one pill a day.

A gout attack (as I'm sure you know) is one of the most painful things I have ever felt.  It was far worse than several breaks/sprains I have experienced.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views