Protein issues...HELP!

MeTime0418
on 4/25/12 9:38 am
VSG on 04/18/12
I am one week post-op and have only gotten one full Nectar protein supplement down to date. I have tried everything I know to try and find myself ready to throw my hands in the air and give up. The smell makes me gag before I ever the drink to my mouth. Last night, for the one I actually drank, I drank too fast and made myself really sick. The pain was terrible. My doctor told me not to stress too much about it when I was in the hospital because it would take several weeks to become protein deficient. I am really starting to worry about not getting my protein. I should add that the only time I have had trouble drinking my liquids was after my protein supplement. I have one more week of clear liquids and then two weeks of full liquids before I can move on to the blended diet. Should I call my doctor and see if I can move on to the next stage? They recommend EAS Myoplex Carb Control supplements. Has anyone tried these? Are they any better than the Nectar? My doctor is super strict about the diet, so the only change for my next stage would be the creamier supplement, no other additional foods. Just looking for opinions please. What do you all think?

Jewelsstevens
on 4/25/12 11:43 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12
My favorite is Iso 100 by Dymatize. I like the berry. It tastes like Strawberry Quick to me. Even in water.
INgirl
on 4/25/12 12:16 pm
Couple suggestions- are you using a shaker cup with the top on? If the smell is getting to you, the top cuts that way back on that.. 2nd, I don't care for the EAS stuff, now Premier protein is pretty good for a RTD shake, and has 30g. 

There are tons of different proteins out there, some are really nasty imo, some taste great (Jay Robb strawberry!) but are way $$$ (looking at you JR..) but there are a lot to try.. I am not a big "creamy shake/sweets" person.. that said, the Syntrax Matrix line has been the best I've tasted. I mix mine with unsweetened almond milk.. nice blend of whey, egg and casein proteins.. keeps me satisfied a little longer than whey alone.. and they are all lower carb and mix easy. You can order a bunch of flavors of those and others at Nashua Nutrition. May want to give it a shot?
caffinegramma
on 4/25/12 12:42 pm - WA
I also use the Premier Brand (Costco), though the sweetness gets to me at times!  I just got the Unjury Chicken Broth and it is a great change!  Very good.  My sleeve was done on 4/18/12 and I am doing okay...though i still feel "hungry" at times.
thisbe777
on 4/25/12 1:08 pm
 listen to your doc and don't stress...  it will take you some time to find the protein drinks that you can tolerate...  it's more important to get your fluids in to stay hydrated - i was on clear liquids for 4 weeks post op...     my doc said not to worry about adding protein until at least week 3.... 

take it easy, take it slow...  don't move on to the next stage until your doc gives you the go-ahead...  your new stomach needs to heal....  give it time...

i like the costco premier shakes...  they are still my go-to....  

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

MeTime0418
on 4/26/12 6:16 am
VSG on 04/18/12
Thank you all for the responses. I think I was just freaking out. I had my one week post-op appointment today and he changed me to the shakes. There isn't a Costco where I live, but I went to GNC and bought a couple different kinds of the approved supplements. Hopefully one of them will work.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views