Caffeine?

ButterflyAnna
on 4/26/12 3:06 am
VSG on 07/02/12
I am planning on having VSG in July (so happy I can finally say that!) and I was wondering if you have to cut caffeine out in the beginning or altogether? I've heard different things. I don't drink any caffeine except my morning mug of coffee.

Thanks!
Anna
Mom78
on 4/26/12 3:10 am
VSG on 02/10/12
My plan  had me cut it out a month before so I could get all the withdrawals out.

Then they want me to wait 6 months, something about acidity.

But I've been without for 4 months and it feels great!  No need for the extra zing it gave me...

Good luck in July!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

newme2011-2012
on 4/26/12 3:12 am
I went off it about 2 weeks before surgery.
I went back to my reg. coffee 8 weeks after surgery. I have no problems with acid.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Cortnee Z.
on 4/26/12 3:13 am - Murrieta, CA
VSG on 04/04/12
I went off 2 weeks before and was cleared for caffeine 2 weeks after!! It's all gonna depend on you and your Dr. and NUT!!
Cortnee 

"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn" Harriet Beecher Stowe

Blog: 
http://mysleeveandme.blogspot.com     MFP: CortneeZ
imkristy1
on 4/26/12 3:19 am - WI
VSG on 02/13/12
I started drinking decaf coffee about a month before surgery and drank it until about 2 months post op then switched back to regular coffee. I havent had any issues with it, but I only drink about a cup a day in my protein drink.

Kristy  5'5"  HW-224   SW-207    GW-140   Goal reached in 40 weeks!  PRE-OP - 17    MTH 1 - 15   MTH 2 - 13    MTH 3 - 12   MTH 4 8    MTH 5 -  5    MTH 6 - 4   MTH 7 - MTH 8 -MTH 9 - 0  MTH 10 - 0

Kevin H.
on 4/26/12 3:36 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 There is caffeine in ice tea and we can drink that.  As long as it isnt too much, and done in moderation, a little bit of caffeine wouldn't hurt.  As always though, check with your doctor.

gabriellaz
on 4/26/12 4:26 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Are you serious! I Love unsweetened iced tea with splenda. I was hoping postop I would be able to stop by McDonalds when I go back to work just to get one of their 32 oz unsweetened teas with splenda... Mmmm.... I love those and was thinking it would be a good way to get my liquids in, I just wasnt sure if the ice tea was okay to drink postop because of the caffeine.

Mermaid7
on 4/26/12 3:42 am
The pre op drs. suggested switching to decaf and then cutting it out all together.  The decaf is so you won't get headaches if you stop right away.  I did as they suggested and thought I would be someone who would live without coffee after my surgery.  After about 2 months I ran into eggface and she uses a coffee protein drink called click.  I bought it and realized I could make my own with regular coffee and my vanilla liquid protein drink from costco.  Coffee is a big part of my life.  I make room for it.  Sometimes I think it prevents me from getting in as much water as I should, so...
It will be up to you and what works for you.  But, I would say give it up at least initially.
Good luck!

ButterflyAnna
on 4/26/12 4:37 am
VSG on 07/02/12
Thanks everybody! I meet with my NUT in May and I'll ask her about it then.

Anna
DanaSue
on 4/26/12 10:29 am

I have drinking decaf tea and coffee since day one after my surgery, and
I could really use that caffeine in the morning, but my nutritionist says caffiene is dehydrating. Anyone hear this before?

VSG 4-2-12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views