List of questions to ask surgeon at my preop appt.

gabriellaz
on 4/28/12 4:24 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
I am soooo excited! So I started this process with Kaiser July 2011, and finally, the time is near. My preop appointment is on May 22 2012, and THAT is the day I will be given my vsg surgery date! Woo hoo! I was told surgery could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month from the preop appt. I want to write down questions to ask. My surgeon that day, I have a few down, Can anyone give me some other question ideas? Thanks. Gabbz

dec721
on 4/28/12 10:26 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Judging from recent posts from newbies, the most important question I'd ask is not really a question.  I'd *demand* a printed pre- and post-op eating plan that very day so that you can study it and wrap your head around it.  I'm appalled at how little many newbies know about what to eat post-op.  And when you get the diet from your surgeon, run it by us here, and some of us old-timers can tell you if it is sensible or not.

You don't tell us who your surgeon is, so we might already know this stuff, but I'd ask him/her how many sleeves he has done and what size bougie he uses. 

Best wishes on your journey, Gab :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

gabriellaz
on 4/29/12 2:20 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Thank you. Actually, through Kaiser, We have to go through 6 week classes called Options and we are given a HUGE binder which has alot of wonderful info including an eating plan from the 1st day home to a year. It is pretty much the same kind of diet everyone on here has. I know what you mean about some newbies not getting a plan from their surgeon, that is awful, but thank goodness for OH, that they can come here for some guidance when they are not given any at all. I am definately going to ask what size bougie he uses, and how many vsg surgeries he has done, if he has ever had any with complications. I also want to ask him., in case of an emergency if they carry my rare bloodtype AB Negative. Once again thank you

ruggie
on 4/29/12 2:56 am - Sacramento, CA
Ask about metrics.

What's your mortality rate?
   What's your complication rate?
   What's your leak rate?
   Are you board certified?
   Are you a general surgeon or a bariatric surgeon?
   How many total surgeries have you performed?
   How many laproscopic surgeries have you performed?
   How many VSGs have you performed?

Kaiser drives me crazy - they make you go through all these hoops, and then you're allowed to meet your assigned surgeon and by that point you're so worn out and hopeful you just accept the assignment.  And you're just supposed to hope he's ok.  Whatever you do, don't let some bozo operate on you just because you're told to call him "Doctor" and he's been pseudo-randomly assigned to you by a healthcare plan.  Is the surgeon he assigned you even in the top 50% or lower 50%? 

I've turned down surgeons because their leak rate was too high (like 4%) or they were general surgeons (no... I want someone who's made bariatric surgery their career, not their hobby), or because they were too inexperienced (had done only 200 VSGs so far), etc.  Remember that selecting a surgeon is like a mechanic - you don't pick the one with the best smile or bedside manner, you pick the one that can do the best, most perfect job the first time. 

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

gabriellaz
on 4/29/12 3:25 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Thank you Ruggie. Great questions. They are all going on my list of questions. So you had Kaiser too?

ruggie
on 4/29/12 3:29 am - Sacramento, CA
Oh no.  My company allowed us to choose between Kaiser (cheap) and Anthem Blue Cross (more expensive).  I went with the PPO, picked my own surgeon, and wasn't required to do the medically supervised weightloss and had surgery pretty fast after coming to my decision.

gabriellaz
on 4/29/12 3:44 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Ahhh... I see. Thats great. I know a few people that have gotten their vsg from my surgeon and have nothing but good things to say about him, but I will still coninue my research about him. Thank you Ruggie. I really appreciate it. Gabbz

ruggie
on 4/29/12 3:59 am - Sacramento, CA
That's great!

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views