I really love that bacon is a protien.

LaughingCow
on 5/9/12 11:55 pm - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Two slices for breakfast and I'm full till lunch. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Cindy22706
on 5/9/12 11:57 pm - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I havent cared for bacon my whole life, lately I have been craving it!

rhearob
on 5/9/12 11:58 pm - TN
 Are you talking turkey bacon or veggie bacon?

If you are talking about Pork bacon, you might want to look at the nutrition info - How much protein are you getting for the calories you are eating?  How do those calories fit into you daily diet?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

jacreasy
on 5/9/12 11:59 pm
VSG on 04/23/12
 How far out were you when you tried bacon... I love it! Im only 3 weeks 

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

kimberleyann
on 5/10/12 12:10 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
My vote would be for Canadian Bacon, or sometimes called Peameal Bacon. It has much more protein, less fat.

slimpickins5280
on 5/10/12 12:22 am - CO
Fat is to your intestines what protein is to your stomach. Frisco has his rather genius Pyloric Valve 101 post about how protein shuts the valve at the bottom of your stomach to give you a "full" signal.

Fat works similarly in the intestines. When it hits the intestines it is the signal to them that you are full. Since your intestines have a different hunger hormone, fat becomes important in the entire "full" feeling.

That said, not all fats are created equal. There are still "slidder" fats and fats that your body really can't do anything with. Stick with healthy fats. There are lists of them online.

I eat bacon all the time and while I love it, I know that 3 pieces only gives me about 7 grams of protein - at the most. That's okay for me because I'm almost 7 months out and I can get more protein in other ways. Just make sure you aren't counting it for more than it's worth even if you try to choose the bacon with the most meat.

You might try turkey bacon because it's higher in protein.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

INgirl
on 5/10/12 12:28 am
Agreeing with Slim's points (I do that often).. fat=satiety, and I have never avoided it in my post VSG life.. and won't.. In fact, looking forward to adding more fat into my diet as I get to maintenance!
I have used bacon as a condiment (especially in very lean meats like ground venison) and have had it on the side of an egg a couple times for bfast. I do prefer country ham as a bfast meat, but the salt sometimes can not be a friend of mine.
slimpickins5280
on 5/10/12 12:43 am - CO
I prefer the country ham too. Or Canadian bacon.

Crap! All this food talk is making me want some breakfast!

BTW - been watching your ticker - congrats and getting to maintenance.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

INgirl
on 5/10/12 1:01 am
Ditto! I'm sitting here eating leftover cheesy pizza chicken.. thinking about country ham!

Thanks on the ticker noticing! Still figuring out when I should stop! Ha, head trip there.
louisamay
on 5/10/12 2:54 am
VSG on 04/27/12
May I ask what the salt does to you?  Just curious.

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views