Again. I thought I was sure about getting DS. However sleeve looking more appealing now...

Misty P.
on 5/17/12 4:18 am - AUSTIN, TX
DS on 07/02/12
 Since I am self pay .. And previous lapband failed. I am having a hard time deciding the vertical sleeve or the DS. any advice suggestions or info would be great. Pleas message me or if you would like to even call me with your personal experience, that would be great! 
I am 31, 375, 5'9, no health issues besides being over weight and over eater.

Please help a newbie out with some info. 
Taking a large amount of vitamins like ds patients have to take is scary. 500/700$ once a yr for labe is a bit much but possibly manageable. I would just hate myself if sleeve didn't work. What is the success rate of sleeve?
Ty for any and all info, Misty

thisbe777
on 5/17/12 4:30 am
 i was a self-pay for my sleeve....  worth every penny...  no rerouted guts and the fun and games that go along with that....  i don't know exact "success rates", but  my surgery center considers me a star patient...  just got interviewed for the 2nd time for an article about my wls.... 

i take a multivitamin, calcium, and iron supplement, and my labs have been good...

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Misty P.
on 5/17/12 4:44 am - AUSTIN, TX
DS on 07/02/12
 Do you have to keep taking labs? If so how often?
thisbe777
on 5/17/12 4:46 am
 about every 6 months or so now....  my insurance pays for those

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

ametzger
on 5/17/12 4:46 am - MI
VSG on 04/23/12
I am 3 weeks out and my sleeve is the BEST decision that I have ever made.  Recovery was very easy, with the exception of the first 3 days.  I choose the sleeve because of the failure rate with bands and the complications associated with the RNY.  

I spend about $70 a month in vitamins - multivitamin, iron, calcium, B12, and Vit D.  They can get expensive, but in fact, I have saved a ridiculous amount of money because of changing my lifestyle!

I can't say enough awesome things about my sleeve.  My husband is going to Mexico in June as a self pay for his sleeve :)  If I wasn't sure that this surgery saved my life, there is no way that I would let him go!

Good Luck to you!

Misty P.
on 5/17/12 5:12 am - AUSTIN, TX
DS on 07/02/12
 Ty but ds is same then? Lots of vitamins and expensive labs every 6 months to a yr... If its the same, might as well do full ds. My surgeon said if I was very worried bout vitamin deficiency, than he can bypass less amount of intestines. And I'm also worried about getting too thin. So maybe ds, with bypassing less intestines to help me absorb more but not so much as if I just had sleeve.... Hmmmmm
acbbrown
on 5/17/12 5:21 am - Granada Hills, CA
If you want the best chance at losing weight and maintaining - maybe you should consider the DS. It is a much more powerful tool - with the accompanying risks

Really - at the end of the day - you need to worry less about the differences between the two surgeries and look at what you are willing to commit to and the work you are willing to put in. Many many succesful vets here reached their goal of 100% EWL and are maintaining. It's absolutely possible with the sleeve but when you talk to them, it requires a serious commitment and dedication to a healthy life style and following a good plan. No matter what surgery you have, you will have to watch your calories, carbs, and protein and take some vitamins and exercise. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

favrow812
on 5/17/12 6:59 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
I dont know much about the DS except that the nurse at my surgeons office said they dont even provide the DS because of the heavy risk factors after surgery..

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

happyteacher
on 5/17/12 7:43 am
 This is a difficult choice, as I believe they are both good choices.  Thus far, the sleeve process has worked well and I am satisfied with the 100 pounds that I have lost.  The last 45 however, is becoming significantly more difficult.  I am on the fence at the moment on whether or not I made the appropriate choice.  The deciding factor for me originally is that I am inconsistent in taking  vitamins (better since sleeved, but not perfect) and I wanted to avoid rearranging the intestines.  With that said, I am already at a point in the weight loss where I would repeat the sleeve surgery.  I feel far better at 227 then I thought I would, and certianly have enough motivation in me still to continue to lose.  

I HIGHLY recommend you search for Frisco's posts on selecting a surgeon.  Consider leak rate, sleeve size performed, and dig into the stats on average % of EWL.  i found out after surgery that my guy lost the smaller bougie, so I got a much larger size.  I will make it work, but hunger is far more of an issue for me then many.  Back in the earlier days when hunger was  not as much of an issue it was MUCH easier to stay on plan.  My guy normally has an average EWL of 85% at the 6 month mark and 90%-100% by a year.  

I do go in for labs at 3 month intervals, and the insurance covers it. The nitial start up cost of food purchases was high, as I floundered through products that I didn't like and consequently gave away.  Clothes is another notable expense to consider, but certianly my favorite way to spend money in this process :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ThinLizzy
on 5/17/12 9:32 am, edited 5/17/12 9:32 am - Benicia, CA
Hi, Misty,

I'm 5 years out, almost, with the sleeve, and I am very happy with it. The ONLY other surgery I considered was the DS. I ultimately decided against it because I was a relative light weight with a BMI or around 38.5 and felt that it was overkill. I also hate taking pills and was concerned about the the lifelong supplementation that the DS requires. The VSG also requires supplementation but it is FAR less and not as immediately life threatening as it can be with the DS. I get thorough labs drawn once a year. You do have to be sure you can afford the supplements and labs with either surgery, but it can be especially dangerous to skimp on labs or supplements with the DS.

I will say that if I had had more than about 130-150 lbs to lose, instead of around 100, I would have gone with the DS. I know people who have successfully lost more than 200 lbs with the VSG alone but they are in the minority, and I know many people who have not made it to goal with that much weight to lose. It depends on how much work you are willing to put into it--the VSG is a great tool, but you will absorb every calorie you eat, so it's not as forgiving as the DS. You mention that you weren't successful with the band--was that a band problem or do you think you would have difficulty with another restriction-only procedure?

For what it's worth, my surgeon, who has done tons of both surgeries, told me that as a VERY general rule, he thinks the VSG is great for BMIs under 45. For BMIs over 50, he thinks the DS should be considered.

Keep thinking about this and weighing pros and cons until you are sure!

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views