Newbie - am I reasonable to hope?

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/27/12 10:20 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm still in the hoping to be approved stage and am wondering if my goals are realistic. My life at the moment has its good side (great marriage, amazing adult kids, good friends, comfortable finances) and its sucky side (chronic pain, high BP, high cholesterol, sciatica, fibromyalgia, I could go on but I won't bore you all.)

I've had 2 caesarians and a hernia repair, so I'm not so foolish as to expect to wake up after surgery in rainbow land. I expect a certain amount of pain, possible nausea, fatigue that seems to be unending but isn't, diarrhea, hair loss, saggy skin etc, but I know those things get better over time, so will have strategies in place as best I can.

My hope is that by, say, a year, I'll have lost enough weight to reduce my pain level, BP and cholesterol, have more energy and be more mobile. (putting on my own socks after aquasize would be dandy, no matter how kind my friends are now)

I want to face the day without feeling like I'm heading out to face a dragon (raging hunger and no sense of "full" until I'm ill) with inadequate armour and a penknife.

I don't expect to ever be slim, although I sure wouldn't complain. I just want to be a normal, healthy, energetic person who can try new things (Zumba!) without worrying about having to quit 10 minutes in. I want to be able to eat normal food in small portions without feeling like I'm starving.

Am I dreaming?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

lauriegirl143
on 5/27/12 10:24 am
boy are you going to be happy! i am 5 months post op. i have not taken my cholesterol medicine in 4 months.  i stopped my BP meds last month and monitor my pressure and it is perfect every time.  i had sleep apnea and have not used my CPAP in two months. i can now cross my legs, bend over, walk without shortness of breath. i have bad arthritis in my knee and that has gotten better also. things like fibromyalgia probably wont get much better but i am no expert. i also had two c-sections and the sleeve was a breeze. i had no incisional pain. i did  have pressure and pain from the gas they put in you to make your abdomen bigger for the surgery.  i have lost 74 pounds and am half way to my goal.  i was scared and nervous to get the surgery and some days still can not believe i went through with it.  good luck to you!  keep me posted!!!!
Elaine2
on 5/27/12 10:42 am, edited 5/27/12 10:55 am - Atlanta, GA
I think your expectations sound very realistic....but you can't be disappointed if all dreams don't come true.

I had surgery at age 57 and had the chronic pain, cholesterol sciatica and a few other problems along with it. Sadly, haven't come off my meds but all conditions have improved. I spent the first 4 months after surgery walking around my home only for exercise. Wouldn't call it house bound but close.....last month (2 year later and down 200+ pounds) I did a canopy tour challenge (zip lines, cargo net climbs, etc). A new lease on life and total mobility back! Still a little pain but nothing that an Aleve won't fix. Many get off their Rx's shortly after surgery!

Post op for me was a piece of cake...I expected allot worse as I had never had a surgery. But was pain free after 2 days, got in all fluids and protein within a week. I was lucky.

Hair loss---none for me but it grows back; nausea, none; diarrhea, I wish...constipation, yes but manageable. Sagging skin---a whole person worth I think. My worst problem...I did develop reflux and still take Nexium for it. Raging case, IMO but  again, manageable.

This is kind of long---but let's talk about normal foods in small portions...that might require some rethinking in my opinion. What's normal now may not or should not be considered normal in the future. That's my opinion. My shrink asked me, Are you going to continue to eat your normal foods just in smaller portions? or Are you going to change to healthier choices in smaller portions?  I chose the later. I think it's smarter...for me.

I have always been fat but from 47-57 it just got worse and worse. I really lost those 10 years.  Well I've found myself in the past 2 years and I'm loving it.

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/27/12 11:27 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
We have a really comprehensive program here and I've changed a lot in the way I eat over the past few years. "Normal" food in our household leans heavily on stir fries, salads, baked salmon or halibut, chicken breasts, steamed veg and whole grains. I buy almost no processed food and we eat out only occasionally. I do eat some sweets (1-2 times a week) but no pop, no fast food and nothing deep fried. Unfortunately, I'm a bottomless pit and am a menace when I get over hungry.

I do want to be able to eat a few bites of birthday cake (1st grand baby on the way) and have my Friday skinny latte. (knitting group)

Our program aims for an eventual 12-1500 calorie balanced diet with lean protein, low gi fruits/veg, low fat dairy and whole grains. They discourage sweets, but my nurse said, "never having a bit of birthday cake isn't real life."

I won't be frantic if I have to stay on the Crestor and Mycardis, but would sure be thrilled with more mobility and less pain - your tour sounds terrifyingly cool.

louisamay
on 5/27/12 10:49 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I think you have realistic goals.  Good luck getting approved!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/28/12 2:15 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Thanks.

Chalk
on 5/27/12 11:35 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12
Ooooo....I wouldn't rule out being slim. I'm 62 and can see slim in my future?

I noticed a difference in my arthritis pain level when all the pain meds from surgery wore off. I had taken Voltaren (NSAID) for years, twice a day. I had to come off it 2 weeks before surgery - went to Tylenol Arthritis - and haven't taken Voltaren in over 5 months. I asked my DR. If he'd had other patients who noticed a decrease in arthritic pain and he just smiled and said he had not. So, I suppose it's all in my head, but I don't mind.....I don't hurt like I did.

I'm not off my cholesterol or BP meds yet, but my PCP is keeping a close watch on me because he anticipates that I will need to decrease or eliminate them entirely. I'm his first sleeve patient so he's very interested in how I do. He works closely with my surgeon - both sharing my test results and med changes. I really like that he is so involved in my journey.

You are not dreaming impossible dreams. What you want is entirely possible. Just follow your surgeon's plan, track your food, drink more than 64 oz of water a day, keep the calories below 800 and most of all, enjoy the ride. It truly is so amazing.

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/28/12 2:14 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
63# in less than 5 months at 62? You give me hope! Thank you! I see the younguns dropping weight at a crazy rate, but figured that at 55 I shouldn't get too hopeful.

Actually, I'm ok with losing slower than the younger folk - my skin just doesnt have the same bounce-back-ability theirs does.

We're very fortunate here that after major weight loss the province will cover a panniculectomy and breast reduction. Anything extra is self pay of course, but just those 2 things are huge.

Elaine N.
on 5/27/12 11:55 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
 Thanks for posting.  I've had many of the same questions.  Luckily, I don't have cholesterol issues but am looking forward to doing without BP meds.  I have had two arthroscopic knee surgeries and hoping getting the weight off will help with those issues, although I'm realistic in knowing it won't take those issues away.  I hope you get approved soon and will join us in beginning a new life.

God will turn our weakness into strength.
Kelly-AnneH
on 5/28/12 2:17 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Thank you.
I see your turn is in less than 2 weeks. I'm so happy for you - I hope it all goes perfectly!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views