Canadians who went self pay?

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/31/12 1:12 am, edited 5/31/12 3:57 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
If so, where did you go and what was your experience like?
How did your GP react? Did you talk to him/her beforehand?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

justmest
on 5/31/12 2:54 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
I am from Manitoba , I went to dr Ponce de Leon in Tijuana and my experience was amazing! I booked through wls4better life and Trish was amazing, not to mention almost half the price of what the woman in Canada who coordinates charges. Pm me if you would like info
Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/31/12 4:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I will! My husband and I are going to talk to our doctor tomorrow and ask for his ideas and about his willingness to do my aftercare.

I've checked out private clinics within Canada, and although we could manage the price, having to fly across Canada 7 times over the next year just isn't happening. (testing, surgery and 5 aftercare visits)

justmest
on 5/31/12 4:47 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 My GP was happy to do the aftercare. I go see him tomorrow morning for a post op follow up. 

I flew to San Diego, was picked up by a shuttle driver in a nice air conditioned van, and was transported to Tijuana (about 30 minutes from SD Airport) 

Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

Lina P.
on 5/31/12 4:51 am, edited 5/31/12 4:52 am - Bolton, Canada
I went to my GP two weeks prior to leaving for Mexico. She wasn't surprised because I had been struggling with this weight for so long but I had to ask her if she'd still look after me afterwards.
She couldn't turn me away and said it was my decision.

The Almater hospital was so clean. Great price, great surgeon, great experience.
Dr Aceves and his team were top notch.

If you'd like to read about it, just click on my name and read through my blog.

:)
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/31/12 2:50 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I clicked on your name, but there weren't any blog posts to read. Am I doing something wrong?

How did you find the pre-op diet? Are you allowed low carb veg (a little salsa, no sugar sketti sauce) to help get all the protein down? I'm not much of a meat eater, but a week of yogurt and baked salmon wouldn't kill me...

a_blossom
on 5/31/12 7:25 am
 I also went to Dr Aceves & had a great experience. I told my doctor after. He was fine with it. I also submitted my receipts to my provincial health care and receive a small sum back. I highly recommend Dr Aceves & enjoyed my time in Mexicali.
Kelly-AnneH
on 5/31/12 2:52 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Which province and how does one go about applying for a refund from your provincial health plan? I know we could use the receipts when we do our taxes...

a_blossom
on 5/31/12 11:07 pm
 In Alberta, just go online and print off the out of country claim forms. You will need to submit a detailed receipt, but I just got Gaby to make and email me a more detailed one, so just ask her for the most details (breakdown of tests, etc).  It was really easy. The government will pay back a small portion as long as you fit the criteria, like if you were to have surgery here. I did not like the waiting, hours of driving,  and was not comfortable with the surgeon in Alberta. I also must mention that my pain was minimal! They have very good pain management at Almater. Good luck to you!
Margo N.
on 5/31/12 8:06 am
I also went to Dr Aceves and had a very, very good experience (details on my blog). By far the most attentive medical care, in the cleanest setting that I have ever experienced, and I have lived here, the US and the UK.

I discussed my plans to pursue this surgery out of country in Mexico with my GP in advance and he was very supportive and has been on board ever since for all necessary after-care, laboratory testing, prescriptions, etc. He was pleased with the quality of the surgery and the post op report from Dr Aceves, and he is THRILLED with the improvement to my health.

When it has been necessary, I have been able to get any info I need from Dr Aceves' office via phone or email - usually within 24 hours of my inquiry. Having said that, once you have healed from the surgery, there really isn't much follow up necessary, other than your labs to make sure that nutrient levels are good.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views