Visitors after surgery?

Elaine N.
on 6/6/12 12:10 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
A couple of my close friends have asked about visiting me in the hospital. 
Did any of you feel up to visitors the evening after your surgery?  I told them
it would probably be better if they waited and visited me at home later.  What
have been your experiences?

God will turn our weakness into strength.
Michelle10929
on 6/6/12 12:13 am - NC
I don't know about experience.. but I'm only allowing my Mom, my daughters, and my pastor.
moonglo82
on 6/6/12 12:15 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Honestly, you'll probably either be so sleepy from the meds that you'll want to sleep most of the night, or you'll be determined to get up and walk as much as possible, or some combination of the two. I agree you'd probably do better to have company once you got home. You wouldn't be as doped up, and you'd be moving around significantly better without the IV in your hand, etc.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

elizasgone
on 6/6/12 12:20 am - St Cloud, FL
VSG on 06/28/12

At least your friends asked about visitors. I am a nurse at the hospital I am having it done at....I have a feeling my entire unit will be "dropping by" to see me! I will probably out cold, snoring and drooling....lol

Sherri B.
on 6/6/12 12:37 am
Honestly the evening of surgery I wasn't up to much of anything. Between dozing, being nauseated and trying to get some walking accomplished, I didn't have the energy for visitors. My mom was there but left to go to the hotel late in the evening and I don't even remember her leaving. A few friends sent texts to see how I was doing and all, but I was having trouble even reading and responding to the texts due to my vision being blurry (side effect of the medicine ball, I guess, because that lasted until the morning after it was removed at home 2 1/2 days after surgery).
The difference between the evening of surgery and the next morning though was just that the difference between night and day. The next morning I was no longer sick on my stomach, I was up and around, got permission to take a shower so I could get ready to go home and had myself showered (with mom's help) , dressed, teeth brushed and hair done before my doctor got there to make rounds and discharge me.

masstastic
on 6/6/12 12:36 am
My friends surprised me that night. Apparently I flashed them...no memory of that lol. Visitors helped me a lot, but I'm a social person and was dying in my boredom.

Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 6/6/12 12:53 am - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
My mom and bf were with me most of the time but they weren't really "visitors". At one point my bf brought his kids in to see me (as planned) but when they got there I was having a rough time and he took them
to the cafeteria to give me some time. When they all came back apparently I said "ok everybody needs to GO!" I don't even remember it! It scared the kids (7 & 10) seeing me so miserable and hooked up to everything. They thought I was dying and still talk about it.

Anyway, I'd say nay on the visitors. You'll have plenty of time at home. Not like my mom & bf, it's not like I needed to entertain them and they weren't leaving.

TexasLovely
on 6/6/12 12:57 am
 People waited the day after my surgery to visit (I was in for about 3 and a half days.
I really liked when they came to see me, I wanted the company, and plus I had people I knew to walk with me!
Although I did fall asleep while they were talking to me, and felt bad about that.
Its totally up to you though, and how you're recovering:)
CincySlvd
on 6/6/12 1:02 am - OH
VSG on 04/24/12
Don't remember much from the first day, slept most of the day.  Family visited.  Second day was pretty normal.
Stayce
on 6/6/12 1:03 am
VSG on 03/28/12
 My Husband was Deployed when I had my surgery, so my Dad was with me. He was my only visitor and half the time he was visiting I slept from the medicine that they gave me for nauseousness. I would recommend that they wait and visit you a few days after you get home and get settled.
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views