This is kind of amazing...

Ashley O.
on 6/7/12 1:58 pm
I've blogged.. since before surgery... about my whole journey through surgery. there isn't much out there on people under 18 getting WLS.. and it's sorta transformed into an awareness site for childhood obesity, insulin resistance, etc... My surgeon and doctors all know about this. They give me hard copies of a lot of graphs and test results and such, that i end up using on it... It's slowly gained more and more viewers over the past year.. I've had doctors from other hospitals contact me.. one person contacted me that ran a lifestyle magazine and asked me some questions about my journey, and posted it in his online magazine..

Well, anyways.. at my last appointment the social worker, the nurse practitioer, and dietitan all told be basically.. at their consultations with new teenagers considering surgery,.. and other teenagers already in the programs.. people are telling them about my blog/website.. and it keeps getting brought up.. they said they hear a lot about it. I never posted it on the support group facebook page that my surgeon has for his patients.. I've only met 3 of the other patients.. and Only one of them knew about the blog... So it's insane to think other people in the group just found it.. and new people too..

anyways.. at my last appointment they asked me to speak at this world conference that they have once a year..This past year they had doctors from india and australia even..  they wanted me to talk about my journey and the blog and all of that.. and the response i've gotten from it..

They told me I had time to think about it and what not. and they'd work with me on getting a presentation set up. I said i'd think about it... I wasn't 100% sure.. I"m not huge on social events.. But I've been thinking about it a lot lately.. Why not?

Before surgery.. i don't think i would have even considered it. Being in an auditorium full of people.. attention on me? absolutely not. but now.... i actually think i'm going to do it. I've gotten messages from teenagers all over the country thanking me for this and what not.. saying they're glad they're not alone, and that they're asking their parents about surgery, and this and that... it's honestly been amazing for me to be able to vent about all my issues from surgery.. and give other people information.. and it's actually a positve thing. not just for me, but for other people. I grew up never knowing anyone with the same health issues i had.. I've met tons now, that have the same issues... It's kind of surreal. why not use it as an opportunity, to try and teach other people and give other kids the same opportunity that i had to change my life around?

Guess I gotta start preparing myself for this... i can't wait. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Mom78
on 6/7/12 2:01 pm
VSG on 02/10/12
Thats fantastic, I say swoop up the opportunity!  Congrats!!!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

MeeMiss75
on 6/7/12 2:08 pm - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
Go for it! Your transformation is helping to transform others. What an inspiration you are! I hope you will participate in the conference. At the very least, it will be a cool trip to somewhere for you. Best of luck!

tall_not_venti
on 6/7/12 2:19 pm
VSG on 02/23/12
Yay! What an impact you are having!
Tracasa
on 6/7/12 2:25 pm
Just do it imagine yourself before the surgery wouldn't you have wanted someone around your age who understands? Be proud of what you have accomplished and share the knowledge help give someone else the power to change. Good luck

Ashley O.
on 6/7/12 2:27 pm
that's exactly why i started the blog. Because when i was looking into it, there was absolutely nothing online from the patients POV, and no one to talk to that was my age that had actually been through it. -- which is why I'm probably going to do this. (: thanks for the good luck. i'll need it.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Kevin H.
on 6/7/12 7:41 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Ashley that sounds like an amazing opportunity.  I wish you much success with it!

bigtigger1010
on 6/7/12 11:53 pm - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
AMAZING!!! Imagine all the young ppl u can touch, and can b a part of saving their lives!!! Just by sharing ur story!

GOOD LUCK!!!  

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

fran67
on 6/7/12 11:57 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
How exciting and wonderful! You will help so many other kids your age!! Congrats on this incredible opportunity.

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

mrsfloflo
on 6/8/12 1:49 am - Grand Prairie, TX
What a great opporunity! So glad to hear that your blog is being noticed and read! Good luck on your presentation!
"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views