Tricks to help detox off of sugar?

Nadurra Deb
on 6/12/12 11:54 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Okay how have people managed to cut sugar out of their diets without losing their minds?

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

JV_ladybug
on 6/13/12 12:09 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 04/10/12
 I started slowly nixing stuff from my diet over a few months. Didn't want to shock my system. Truthfully, I have never really been a sweets fan all that much. Using Splenda and/or sugar free syrups can help too!

Starting: 284. Op Day: 264. Current: 185.80. Goal: 180.
Main goal: To be able to take the "morbidly" out.
moonglo82
on 6/13/12 12:10 am, edited 6/13/12 12:12 am
VSG on 03/29/12
It's tough, but it really does get better after a few days. It's worth it!

Some things that helped me:

1) Stay busy. The less time you have to think about it, the better.
2) Every time you crave something, reach for your water or a healthy snack.
3) Get in some exercise! I find that when I'm exercising like I should, I naturally want less junk for some reason.

You can do this. Keep pushing, my friend :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Nadurra Deb
on 6/13/12 12:27 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Yeah I have a feeling that the first few days will be the hardest. Thanks for the great suggestions and encouragement. I know I'm not the only sugar addict to deal with this. This is my BIG weakness for sure, but I HAVE to do this. I really don't want to deal with sugar withdrawal on top of post-op recovery. Now that my surgery will be a couple of months earlier than it was originally, I'm feeling the pressure to do that NOW. I'm hoping that will be enough of a motivator to get me through it. I've done this before but it has been a LONG time and as I recall it was about 3 weeks before it got easier.

Debbie          

moonglo82
on 6/13/12 12:34 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Everyone is a little different, but it seems that a lot of people here talk about it getting easier after about 3-4 days.  I found this to be true for me as well once I went cold turkey.

Coming off of the sugar is definitely a great idea before surgery!  Not only will it make the postop way of eating easier, but eating healthier can only increase your odds of a smooth surgery and recovery. 

One thing I had to learn the hard way is that white carbs are just as much of a trigger for me as is sweet sugar.  Maybe try cutting that as well and see if that takes care of some of the three week detox time you're talking about?

Good luck! :)  You're going to do great with surgery!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Nadurra Deb
on 6/13/12 12:44 am - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
That's a good point. I think that often white flour ends up being a substitute since it is processed similar to refined sugar. I think I need to go shopping! I'm looking around my house and I'm not finding many options this morning! Need a food store run!

Debbie          

Shagdoll
on 6/13/12 12:55 am
I'm pretty sure you will have a sugar withdrawal. Anytime I consume sugar or other carbs, I am triggered to want more and that makes it even harder to resist but after a couple days, I'm fine and I'll actually feel a lot better.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Nadurra Deb
on 6/13/12 2:11 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Ok good so there is hope that this headache I have might go away in a few days if I can manage to hold out on the sugar? This is the hardest part of the day...evening hanging with the family watching TV and dinking around on the computer. I had a banana and skipped the cookies. I'm thinking that's not a bad start.

Debbie          

BeatrizS1974
on 6/13/12 1:00 am
The first 3 days is the hardest!  I personally started out by cutting all sugary drinks.  I replaced my soda, sweet ice tea with Water and MIO,  If i want ice tea then i just have a diet snapple. It's easier to to do it slowly, one thing at a time, then to do no sweets cold turkey.  Good luck.  
Nadurra Deb
on 6/13/12 2:14 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12
Luckily I dropped the sugary drinks years ago for the diet versions. So when i gave up soda it was just the habit that I was breaking. I didn't have any physical cravings for it. That part was easy at least. It's pushing away the awesome chocolate chip cookies sitting on my counter that is going to kill me tonight!

Debbie          

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views