First Birthday Party Post Op!!!

Evymetalmommy
on 6/13/12 12:02 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
My son turns 10 tomorrow.  We are having a family dinner out.  I can handle the dinner out.  No problems there. 

My concern is that adorable Angry Birds cake we got him.  Do I take a bite at the end of the meal?  I've already pre planned what to do with left over cake.  It's not coming back into this house so there is no temptation here.  It's going home with his father 90 miles away.  LOL make sure that cake is far away from me.  

So 1 bite or not 1 bite.   Is it strange that I am already pondering this today?  I was also thinking about it for the past 3 days. 

How does everyone handle birthday cake w/ their children?
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

USAF Wife
on 6/13/12 12:08 am
I was lucky to not have this issue in my losing stage, but Thanksgiving was my nemesis. I still ate small bits of what I wanted, protein the focus, and I did skip dessert because there wasn't anything I liked offered.

As for the cake, only you can decide. Is one bite going to make you want more? Is one bite going to make you gain back your weight (no it's not)? Are you going to continue to obsess over cake? Only you can answer those questions. If it was me during my losing stage, and if it was buttercream frosting, I'd have a lick of buttercream frosting and move on my way. The caveat to that "lick of frosting", I'm not a sweet eater, it wouldn't make me want more, and I wouldn't obsess about it. Now, in maintenance, I ate an entire small slice an end corner buttercream filled corner slice the other day for my son's 14th bday.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

fran67
on 6/13/12 12:21 am - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
Last weekend I had my daughter's party at the house. She wanted KFC (not grilled of course!) and her favorite double layer cookie cake from Sam's and fritos, chips and pretzels. It was a difficult day to say the least! I too was tempted to have all of it especially the cake but I did as USAF Wife said and just licked a small bite of the cake. It was way to sweet (and I was always a sweets person) so I'm glad I didn't actually bite it. The next day after the rest of the family had another piece, I threw the rest out. In the past, I would have eaten the rest of the cake over the course of a few days so I didn't want the temptation in the house. Good luck!!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

Missey J.
on 6/13/12 12:36 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
I have read that some have issues with sweets so be carefull.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
doggz109
on 6/13/12 12:44 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
My daughter just turned 5 a few weeks ago.  We had a big party at a park with a BBQ.  I did not have any of her fairy cake.

It went home with MIL too so it was not in our house.  It was NOT easy......there were some major temptations there.

I think if I had a bite it would have led to worse things.

Shagdoll
on 6/13/12 12:48 am
For me, I'd rather resist a bite all together. I almost wish I was one of those people who can take 1 bite & be satisfied but I'm not.
You are still pretty early out, if you can resist I would if I were you. Keep rockin' that sleeve, right???

Jenn  

WWBD?  

AmberK
on 6/13/12 1:22 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 Unfortunately sweets don't bother me.  I still have a HUGE sweet tooth and it doesn't make me sick. My son had his 9th b-day party this weekend and I did have a piece of cake. I should have just said no completely cause one bite just didn't do it for me. Lesson learned. I didn't over eat on my cal. that day cause  I got full, but I didn't get in all my protein and I am sure my carbs were too high. 
one thing I do is mentally beat myself up for every little wrong thing I do and it is something that I have to stop doing. When we do make mistakes, realize we are human, move on, and learn from it! 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

Evymetalmommy
on 6/13/12 2:18 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I think I'm going to just skip the cake all together.  Or just have a small taste of the icing.  I am glad I already planned where the cake goes once party is over because if it came here it would drive me bonkers.   I'm usually not a huge sweet eater but birthday cakes always get me when I'm sitting alone w/ just the kids.  

incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

InnerMe
on 6/14/12 8:12 am
That's what I did for my daughters birthday. There will be plenty of other chances for us to have cake after the weight loss phase is over and we have a little more wiggle room in our daily calories. I found the easiest thing for me to do was to keep busy passing out the cake and doing a little picking up and visiting with people who finished their cake while I was still passing out cake to others. Good Luck!
 Heather

54 lbs lost pre-op, VSG 3/16/12   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views