This may be a silly question about managing acid..... (Vets encouraged to comment)

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 3:59 am - Tallahassee, FL
.....but I hope it's not as I've read and read and read.

I am pre-op.  I sometimes have a terrible problem with GERD.  I don't get it every day and so didn't want to take Xantac or something else every day.

I was taking Tums, Rolaids, etc. all the time but have just gotten totally sick of them.  I mixed baking soda with water in a water bottle.  When I feel acidy, I take a sip of the water diluted baking soda.  It takes care of the problem immediately, but causes me to have a huuuge belch.  It's kind of entertaining, actually, to see how long I can drag the burp out!

I have read posters who say that long time usage of a PPI or other gerd medicine is counter=productive in the long run.

Do you think it would be bad for me to do this after the surgery by using this periodically to control acid instead of a PPI?  Since the baking soda combines with the stomach acid and create a burp, could that hurt my stomach?

If it is bad, could you tell me specifically why it's bad? 

Thank you!

No heaven will not ever Heaven be
Unless my cats are there to welcome me.
~Author Unknown

Mom4Jazz
on 6/20/12 4:08 am

I'd ask your surgeon. I would have some concerns early on for the same reason they tell you to avoid soda - the bubbly. I doubt all that gas expansion would be good for a healing sleeve.

Here's the thing: Almost all programs tell you to avoid drinking after eating. Even if they don't, you'll learn not to do that because it hurts! So unless almost all of the food is gone from your stomach, you won't want to be drinking anything regardless of the baking soda; the baking soda will make it much worse.

Consider a PPI for the first few months. Then, maybe try the Tums or Rolaids again. Sick of them probably beats sleeve pain hands down.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:30 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks!  On one hand, it seems like a really good idea because it is a way to get instant results when having acid reflux, but on the other hand, there is that burbly gas that results in those spectacular belches.   I could just about recite the whole alphabet in burpese because it lasts so long!

~Author Unknown

lucy2e
on 6/20/12 4:09 am - Laurel, MD
I would not recommend that method.  Early out gas /air=pain.  So sipping the baking soda water would = pain too.

PPI's are not a bad thing in my opinion.  I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:32 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thanks, Lucy!  I have a consult with the surgeon on July 10 and I will most definitely be asking him about that.

~Author Unknown

Crabadams72
on 6/20/12 4:26 am - Silver Spring, MD
My primary Dr is a Gastro... (however its spelled) gut doctor.
I found out through pre op testing that I have Gerd. He put me on protonix before I had VSG. I was told to stay on it to prevent barretts esophagus/esophageal cancer.

I discussed this with my VSG surgeon and she agrees I should stay on the PPI. This is one downside of the VSG. Gerd often gets worse (not always though).
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 4:35 am - Tallahassee, FL
I'll be discussing this with my surgeon in a couple of weeks.  I had a friend with terrible, terrible GERD and when she had her Lap-band done, it was discovered that she had a hiatal hernia.  That was fixed and her GERD problem pretty much went away.

I don't know the cause of my GERD.  I guess I need to prepare for the idea that it could continue or even get worse.

Thanks!

~Author Unknown

ruggie
on 6/20/12 4:44 am - Sacramento, CA
 Well if it isn't my favorite sexy hot mama -

Agree with a lot the other advice, especially about drinking. You know, I think one or two of the PPIs are meant to be taken as needed rather than daily on a preventative basis. I don't know if this is one, but I achieve rapid results with Prilosec when I take one as needed. 

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

angelsmom89
on 6/20/12 5:04 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thank you sweetie!

I have my consult with the surgeon on July 10.  I finally reached my 10% weight loss goal and am eligible.

They said that if the planets align correctly then I should be having the surgery within about a month of seeing the doctor!

~Author Unknown

ruggie
on 6/20/12 5:13 am - Sacramento, CA
Congrats!  How very exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views