Protein ice cream in ice cream maker

Radeechie
on 6/21/12 3:45 am
VSG on 04/30/12
 Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has successfully made protein shake ice cream that wasn't hard as a rock after freezing for a few hours after it came out of the ice cream maker? This is my first attempt and I don't know if this is normal or if I need to change something. I did make it with Skim milk instead of water.

Thank you oodles!

emelar
on 6/21/12 3:54 am - TX
I think if you want it soft serve, you have to eat it right after it's made.  It freezes hard, and you need to nuke it to soften it up.
RobynNOLA
on 6/21/12 4:00 am - New Orleans, LA
If I make a protein sorbet it's fine... but pudding freezes hard. :)

rhearob
on 6/21/12 4:05 am - TN
 You would probably have better luck starting with Greek Yogurt like Fage as a base.  The protein shake will probably come out with more of a ice-milk like consistency rather than ice cream.

You might also try a sorbet with an unflavored protein powder like Unjury added in.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Radeechie
on 6/21/12 4:16 am
VSG on 04/30/12
 Thanks, Rhearob!  Good ideas.  I will have to try that next! The protein shake ice cream is delicious softer but gets rock hard. I hope the fro yo is softer.

Thanks again!

Radeechie
on 6/21/12 4:06 am
VSG on 04/30/12
 Ahhh!  Thanks, guys! That is good to know.  I just realized That I forgot to blend it all first in a blender before putting ingredients into ic maker.  That may make a difference. I appreciate your responses. :)

GRLNPHX
on 6/21/12 1:13 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
If you nuke some protein, it loses it's value.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views