Best NSV ever. So proud of myself!

ND2BTHN
on 6/26/12 3:41 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 First a little history about me. I haven't been able to run, since I experienced my first asthma attack when I was 13. I loved to run when I was young, and quickly packed on the pounds once I became inactive due to my breathing challenges, chronic stress issues and poor eating habits, to name a few, over the years. Anyway, after many week long stays in the hospital due to my asthma flare ups, I gave up any hope of ever being able to run again. I couldn't even run 100ft without the need for my puffer. Previously all exercises, including walking up the stairs would start me wheezing, but now I can sprint up and down the stairs with ease. 

Since surgery I have spent several months alternating between my elliptical and treadmill, for my main exercise. At first it was extremely challenging but then gradually became easier and easier, until I noticed I was able to routinely complete a full session, at higher intensities without an asthma attack. I felt that I was ready to take it a step further. The weather was so nice, with a beautiful cool breeze, I felt that it was time to try my first jog session outside. This has always been a personal goal of mine, but never got the guts to do it. I was always so self conscious of everything jiggling and bouncing and people laughing at the fat girl, who couldn't even run one block. I never would have put on exercise shorts, and expose my self in form fitting clothes in public, but today I put caution to the wind, and did just that. I even felt good about it. I not only set out a goal for myself, I exceeded it to my amazement. I ran double the distance I set out for, and my asthma was in complete check the entire time. I am so thrilled with myself, to have finally rekindled the joy, I used to get from running. Ultimately, I have read about many people moving on to complete marathons post surgery. This is something I have never thought possible, prior to surgery, but it is now something I can really strive towards. I just wanted to share my happiness, and hope to inspire anyone else who also felt that a personal goal is unattainable. I am currently 38. My final goal is to be in better shape hitting 40, than I was at 20, and I am well on the way. Just felt like telling the world! Thanks for sharing this journey with me, OH family.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
morgans
on 6/26/12 3:45 am
VSG on 06/18/12

Congrats!!! That is so awesome!!

I love running too but it was big boobs that stopped me after puberty instead of asthma. 

I had the boobs reduced a few years back and have enjoyed the treadmill very much. I'm hoping once I get some weight off my joints I can really hit it. I don't know about a marathon, but I'll be stoked to do 2 miles up the road to get my morning coffee and the two miles back. :)

ND2BTHN
on 6/26/12 6:33 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
On June 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM Pacific Time, morgans wrote:

Congrats!!! That is so awesome!!

I love running too but it was big boobs that stopped me after puberty instead of asthma. 

I had the boobs reduced a few years back and have enjoyed the treadmill very much. I'm hoping once I get some weight off my joints I can really hit it. I don't know about a marathon, but I'll be stoked to do 2 miles up the road to get my morning coffee and the two miles back. :)
I totally hear ya on the boob issue. Had mine reduced too at 23. So much easier, not having to worry about the girls going out of control, in all directions. Jogging for java sounds like a great goal. Still has a destination with a technical finish line. The destination doesn't matter, really, as long as we make the effort to get there.

Missey J.
on 6/26/12 3:49 am - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12 with
Congrats !

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
hrford
on 6/26/12 3:54 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Yeah you!  So glad you go the asthma under control.  I love running and starting on biking too.  Exercise is great when it doesn't cause horrid pain!

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

ND2BTHN
on 6/26/12 6:40 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
On June 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM Pacific Time, hrford wrote:
 Yeah you!  So glad you go the asthma under control.  I love running and starting on biking too.  Exercise is great when it doesn't cause horrid pain!
Thank you. Asthma is a very scary feeling, and it does cause terrible pain when when it lasts a long time. Like an elephant is sitting on your chest and each breath becomes less and more painful. Exercise is much more enjoyable now, especially without the fear of dying.

Jackie00
on 6/26/12 4:02 am
I have a coworker doing the couch to 5k with me and she uses her buffers prior to running. We are just hitting the nice warmer temps here now but we are right on the ocean and the humidity is high usually. She finds it hard to breathe somedays, I was do looking forward to running today but home with a sick baby but maybe later because I heard some people like running in the rain, we are getting enough rain today to last us the summer lol
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

AzureAurora
on 6/26/12 4:21 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Woohoo

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

acbbrown
on 6/26/12 4:51 am - Granada Hills, CA
 I have a friend with bad exercise induced asthma (that's what she calls it) but has worked to keep it under control and complete marathons. She has to do some walk/run intervals when air quality is bad but she gets it done. There is always hope :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

melly37
on 6/26/12 4:56 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
YAY!!!!  That is such a great NSV!!  Congrats!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views