Camping after VSG...

bluerskies
on 7/2/12 12:14 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
 I am suppose to take a large group of students camping during the last weekend of August.  It will be 2 months post-op for me at that time.  This is part of my job.  I've been worrying about it and wondering what the impact of having recently been sleeved will have on it.  The temperature will be over 100 degrees and we will be outdoors for 3 days, 2 nights.  I had a difficult time today after being outside for an hour and found myself feeling dizzy and lightheaded (and I was sipping the whole time I was out there).  

Any thoughts on whether or not this camping thing is a good idea?  I mentioned it to my doctor during my initial consult and he thught I'd be fine if I just kept sipping all day long.  But I'm still nervous about it and don't want to end up out of commission or even in the hospital.  Am I worrying too much?  I would appreciate any advice or thoughts my fellow VSGers might have.  Thanks!
 Jessica

jessicae
on 7/2/12 12:23 pm
 it really depends on the individual i think.  i feel that some people would be absolutely fine doing it 2 months post op.  i myself would not have been able to handle it that soon after.  the most important thing is protein and liquids.  if your dr. thinks its fine, then go for it!  just make sure you have all you need with you (i drink low calorie gatorade almost daily because of prior dehydration issues immediately post op and it works wonders for me).  

good luck! 

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

EliseG
on 7/2/12 12:32 pm - MA
I agree it depends on the person. Can you bring protein shakes with you? I am just over 2 months out and I am averaging 14-18 cups of water a day, but I still need at least 1 shake to get my protein in.
I wouldn't think the temperature would have a negative effect as long as you can get your water in.

bluerskies
on 7/2/12 2:00 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
 Thanks for the feedback!  It helps to get other perspectives.  
 Jessica

DanaSue
on 7/2/12 9:12 pm
At 2 months, I felt completely recuperated from my surgery.  Just make sure you carry your water bottle around with you and don't get dehydrated.  Have your protein and take some healthy snacks. Have Fun!

VSG 4-2-12

bluerskies
on 7/3/12 1:45 am
VSG on 06/25/12
 Glad to hear you were totally recuperated by the 2 month mark.  Thanks for your insight!
 Jessica

happyteacher
on 7/2/12 10:24 pm
 Ok, I am a teacher and a camper so I totally get this.  You will feel far better at the 2 month mark then what you do right now.  By then, your fluid intake should be stable and you will have figured out if low sugar is an issue or whatever it is that is making you a little dizzy and light headed.  My money is on hydration by the way, but pay attention to your carbs- I had to switch off of the low carb approach due to what you described an issues with low blood sugar creeping in at various times.

With that said, I think you can do it.  The heat sucks, but by 2 months out you will probably notice you can tolerate heat a little better.  There is something about the rapid weight loss that makes you a little colder than what you are used to.  Last summer I was miserable if it was in the 80s.  This summer Detroit has been sitting in the 90s for a while and it hasn't even phased me.  Today I am doing a 2 hour walking tour with my daughter and it will be upper 90s and humid.  Never would have even attempted that pre surgery. 

My advice would be don't cancel anything, but if you find closer to the event that you are not stabalizef enough then make the decision not to go.  My money is on you being able to do it.  Just make sure you take with you vsg friendly food choices an loads of hydration.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

bluerskies
on 7/3/12 1:49 am
VSG on 06/25/12
 This is really helpful!  Thank you so much!  You've helped to ease my mind a bit.  I will wait it out and see how I'm doing closer to the date.  Thanks again!
 Jessica

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views