A problem I never thought I'd have: When does the weight loss stop?

Jenn H.
on 7/2/12 4:16 pm, edited 7/2/12 4:19 pm - Portland, OR
 I am a year and 3 months out and I've had to lower my goal 3 times already because I keep losing.  I was settled around 180 for over a month or so untilI hit some stress in life and this past week my hunger/appetite has been low and I've dropped down to 172.  Losing 8 pounds in less than a week at this stage kind of worries me.

What do you do to stop the weight loss? 

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

KathyA999
on 7/2/12 4:33 pm
I set an arbitrary goal of 150 about halfway thru my weight loss, but my body had other ideas, and I shot past that and got to the low 130s.  I found that my capacity increased a bit right around that point (also just over a year) and calories increased also of course, and my weight loss slowly came to a halt. 

Many on here will tell you that it's not necessarily a bad thing to go a bit lower than you intended, to give yourself a cushion in the event of minor bounceback.  I'm in that camp. Lately I've drifted up a couple pounds, and I would hate to have gained 4 lbs at 150, and be over "goal" even I picked that goal pretty much out of the air.  (Tell you the truth I like the low 130's and plan to get back there.)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Mom4Jazz
on 7/2/12 9:17 pm, edited 7/2/12 9:18 pm
For some it stops. For others, like you and me, we must make a decision to stop it.

Simply put, you're not eating enough calories to maintain your current weight. No-one can tell you how many calories you should eat - it depends on your activity level and metabolism - but you can figure it out.

First, track your foods for a week or so to be really clear how many calories you're eating (I use myfitnesspal.com and their mobile app, but there are lots of options out there). Then increase it by 150-200 calories a day and hold that for a week or two. If you're still losing, go up another 150 calories a day and hold that for a week or two. Repeat until you find the right calorie range for you.

You have two options to increase calories with limited capacity: Eat more often or eat higher calorie foods. I have done some of each. You can add planned snacks, you can add foods like nuts or nut butters or avacados, there are lots of things you can do. 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, for example, will add 200 calories a day.

Good luck.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

bigmama3
on 7/2/12 10:38 pm

I had the same issue.  My original goal was 145; I'm now down to 125.  Have to say, though--I'm really happy with the extra weight loss.  I'm super skinny (size 4-6), and feel like I have extra cushion in case I gain a few pounds.  I don't want to lose any more weight, so I've made a conscious effort to increase calories--will eat peanut butter (spoonfuls) after a workout and have introduced fruit into my diet.  I still will not eat bread, pasta, etc. as those are trigger foods for me without any health/nutritional benefit.

good luck.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

Crabadams72
on 7/2/12 10:44 pm - Silver Spring, MD
I'm in the camp with the others. I am currently 20 pounds below my goal. It was a bit unsettling at first but trust that it is very rare for any one with the VSG to end up underweight past 2-3 yrs out.

Like Mom suggested add in healthy fats, don't start back on the path of carbs and junk foods. I'm sure things will balance out soon.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Carmelita
on 7/3/12 12:20 am - Four Corners, NM
8 pounds in less than a week...is scary at your stage of the game...please see your doctor to make sure nothing medically is wrong. 
Uggh...stress is sooo powerful!!  Even tho you do not feel hungry...set your clock to every 3 hrs...getting some CALORIES in you. force yerself...yer gonna get sick at this rate...if you don't nip this! 
 maybe ...Up yer stress vits..add a SuperBcomplex, B50, L-theanine, ****P before bed. ..Look into Melatonin 3mgs-9mgs 1 hour before bed for improved sleep

body defense fat hormone..LEPTIN is in control! it won't let your body lose too much weight long term...unless you FORCE it. ...like in anorexia.  IF your getting that bobblehead appearance..I would worry about it then...because that looks like FORCED weight loss.

In order to not lose any more weight...up your calories, or decrease the burn some....but not BOTH!

I never lost another pound by 13months post op.  Ive read published articles of VSGrs actively losing weight into 2 years.  

Your body won't force you to lose weight beyond a certain point.....but stress, anorexia sure will   So get this checked out, and tweak it ...you got this surgery to be healthier NOT let yourself get sicker

summer24
on 7/3/12 3:19 am
We all have a weight that we want, and then our bodies have a different plan in mind.  I am 20+ below my goal weight.  My body lost until it stabilized.  I did add in healthier fats and snacks, real sugar as opposed to splenda. 

You seem to still have a good BMI.  Is it because you think you are too thin?  Are you sick right now?  At 4 years, I did lose 10 pounds in a week, but I was in the hospital recuperating from emergency surgery.  You can still lose very effectively if you don't eat as planned or incorporate more foods into your lifestyle.  Being sick can do this to you as well. 

Remember you have been eating a certain way to lose weight.  Now , you need to adjust your eating to stop your loss and stabilize.  It's a balancing act, even at four years for me.  I can gain and lose easily, I just have to watch what I eat to make the scale move either way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views