One Year Surgiversary (Plus 2 Months... Oops!)

Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/3/12 9:35 am - NY
I have been away from this board for a long time (not sure exactly how many months, but maybe even close to six?). Most of my reasons revolve around time constraints-- I started a masters degree program of study and have been working towards planning a wedding, so coming online wasn't as much of a priority. And, I realized that I'd been a little compulsive about this board (I checked it WAY more than I checked Facebook, so I knew it was getting out of hand) so I needed to keep it in check. Aaaand, I wanted to see if I could fly solo knowing all of the facts and having all of the tools to see if I could make it on my own.

And the truth is... I can. And I did. :)

It's been about 14 months since I had VSG and I'm doing well. Still not at my optimal goal weight, but doing OK all the same and working on it every day. My activity level is higher, my self confidence is higher, and while I still have some funky hangups every now and again (hey, who doesn't?) my life is pretty great!

I do struggle a bit with body image issues and still see myself as a fat person, but I think it's something that'll get better with time.

Anyway, I wanted to share some photos and some things that I am able to do now that I found very difficult a year and two months ago (or wouldn't even try at all in some instances).

Sooo... here's a short list of things that are SO MUCH EASIER/POSSIBLE/BETTER since losing weight:
-tie my shoes without strangling myself with my abdomen
-crossing my legs
-walking anywhere without sweating
-trying on clothes is SO much better!
-my blood pressure medication has gone down 75%
-I no longer have to take diabetes medication
-I have run races (yes, that's right folks, I got into running!)
-going to the gym is something I look forward to
-I can put down the fork and say "I'm done" and move on
-I can skip something that looks good because I know it's probably not even worth it
-showering takes less time (and less soap, too!)
-I smell less
-I sweat less
-I'm often cold!
-I am not afraid to choose an activity with a friend instead of meeting for a meal or drinks
-sitting in a car or airplane is not an uncomfortable and nerve-inducing activity
-using a bathroom stall is infintely easier
-I can take the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator because I won't be a sweaty out of breath mess when I'm done

And these are just a few of the highlights for me :)... and now, on to the photos!

Here is a photo of me from high school:

Here are some pre-op photos:

Here are photos from two races I ran last fall (pink shirt is from a 5k in September, white shirt is from a 5-miler on Thanksgiving):

Here are photos from my bridal shower this June (that handsome guy with me is my fiance!):

And this is how I feel about bodyweight nowadays:

So, I guess that's the long and short of it. I have so much more to say though... so I think I'm going to try to stick around a little more these days when I have time. The support here on the boards is so incredibly valuable and I know that, especially in the beginning, I couldn't have done it without this forum and the wonderful people who contribute here!
 ~~Emily~~

bluemems
on 7/3/12 9:39 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
You look great - keep up the great work and good luck with all the things going on in your life - that is a lot :)

Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/3/12 9:53 am - NY
Thanks! I'm trying to take it all in stride (which isn't easy all of the time but I try my best) and keep things in perspective. And no matter what, I just keep plugging along! :)
 ~~Emily~~

EliseG
on 7/3/12 9:41 am - MA
You look amazing! Congrats on all your successes!

Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/3/12 9:54 am - NY
Thanks! Elise, I looked at your side-by-side photos of pre-op and at 6 weeks out and you look GREAT! Keep up the great work!
 ~~Emily~~

Sleeva
on 7/3/12 9:42 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
Great job! thanks for posting I needed to see that..did my preop today for my 7/19 surgery!
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/3/12 9:55 am - NY
You can do it! It's a lot of hard work but SOOOOO worth every minute of it! Good luck to you!
 ~~Emily~~

Happy966
on 7/3/12 9:49 am

Hey Emily, you're looking great!!  Best wishes on your upcoming nuptuals!  Don't be a stranger!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Crunchy As Can Be
on 7/3/12 9:56 am - NY
Thanks, Happy! I'm glad to be back on the boards now and am just looking forward to seeing how my life will continue to evolve (weight loss wise and otherwise) in the upcoming months and years! :) Glad to see you on here!
 ~~Emily~~

Pobearsam7
on 7/3/12 10:04 am
You look great
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 371 views