What do I order at an Italian Restaurant?

bri-bri_p
on 7/13/12 2:03 am - Roanoke, TX
VSG on 06/04/12
I am going to lunch with peeps from work and need to know what I should order.  We are going to a small family owned place so no nutritionals online but their menu is. 

Are any of these good options (without the pasta, of course)?

Shrimp Scampi  white wine - lemon sauce over a bed of linguini
Chicken Cacciatore  fresh peppers, onions, and mushrooms, marinara sauce
Spaghetti  traditional meat sauce, meat balls, or sausage
 Bri

loverofcats
on 7/13/12 2:07 am
Since, you are so early out, what about a soup?

The other menu items seem very heavy for someone so early out. Maybe, you could share something with someone or have a few shrimp out of the sauce. Not very good choices at all. Any appetizers on the menu?
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

bri-bri_p
on 7/13/12 2:17 am - Roanoke, TX
VSG on 06/04/12
I hate soup!  It doesn't stay with me long enough and all the appetizers are breaded and fried!!  I've been eating meat since week 4 per my NUT's plan.  I just chew REALLY well.
 Bri

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/13/12 2:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'd choose the chicken and ask for a takeaway container up front. The sauce will make the chicken lovely and moist - your tummy will thank you. (and great leftovers!)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

olderbutwiser
on 7/13/12 2:14 am
 If they have the shrimp scampi, they have the ability to grill you a half a cup of shrimp.  You could ask for a side of marinara and dip it!!!  Chew well too!!

bri-bri_p
on 7/13/12 2:19 am - Roanoke, TX
VSG on 06/04/12
Good suggestions!  Thanks!!  So at least I was headed sort of in the right direction...
 Bri

louisamay
on 7/13/12 8:28 am
VSG on 04/27/12
You definitely were headed in the right direction!  You're gonna do great with your sleeve!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

califsleevin
on 7/13/12 2:20 am - CA
The cacciatore would probably be a good one, or the shrimp as well (though I'm not a seafood type myself. I often make (and made, during loss phase) chicken cacciatore as it's a great blend of meat protein and vegetable nutrition. Chicken Parmesan is my typical at our neighborhood Italian place, but the cacciatore is probably a bit more friendly early on. As others have suggested, ask for a to go box up front so you can get a couple more lunches out of it.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/12 2:22 am
 Italian is so not my fave choice now.  Chicken Cacciatore or Chicken Marsala without pasta can work.  I've also gotten just a meatball w/sauce; some places have meatballs a la cart.  Most Italian places have salads with chicken or cheese and coldcuts (antipasto) which is my usual (dressing on the side) but don't know if you can do salads yet.
Desari63
on 7/13/12 2:38 am - Hickory Creek, TX
VSG on 02/29/12
I normally get a really really big meatball with a side of spaghetti sauce for dipping and that's about does me in. My husband would get a small salad and I might have a tiny bit of that but since lettuce is a hit or miss with me, I try and stay away from it. See if they have any cabbage wraps with meat and try that as well.

Barbara McKeown

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views