Aetna Insurance - Who used it?

synthangel
on 7/24/12 3:14 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Hello! I am looking into vsg and my insurance in Aetna pos choice 2 and I believe I have all the requirements according to their website. 

But I have been reading over the forums the past few days and I have noticed a few people posting about the troubles they have had being approved by Aetna.

So I guess I am looking for some good news... has anyone gotten the surgery with Aetna with little to no problems from them?  Or if you had issues what were they so I can be better prepared?

Share your story! Thanks!!
Dono1323
on 7/24/12 4:18 pm
I also have Aetna, and have my 3 of 3 follow up with the Dr. this week.  I have had some of the same worries as you.  Here is the conclusion I have come too.....
          1. Aetna has minor differences based on what options the employeer has
          2. Some of the Aetna denials I have seen the OP did not meet BMI and/or 2 yrs of weight history.
          3. As you keep digging abot Aetna it seems like one that is fairly quick and easy to deal with as long as you make sure all requirements are met (Use your surgery cordinator as a resource)

Good Luck! And I will update in the next couple weeks as my apporval is submitted
Sleeva
on 7/24/12 8:13 pm - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
Hello, I have Aetna pos 2, and had to do the 6 mos option I was approved in 3 days after submitting paper work. I have had no problem at all with them... Good Luck!!!!
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

Pobearsam7
on 7/24/12 9:41 pm
I have Aetna and hey were excellent.... They approved me and paid for everything and even paid for a home health aide and nurse to come to my home at discharge... But ever employer has different clauses w/ their Aetna policy so u will see that ppl have different options w/ Aetna...so I would call aetna the number on ur med card to get some answers

Kelly                

Terry H.
on 7/24/12 10:19 pm
 I got approved after the 3 month program.  My plan had a 50% coverage and a $10K max.  Be sure that you know how much you will have to pay.  I ended up paying just shy of a self-pay cost because the full up cost was more than the $10K max shared payment.  I think it was about $11 or 12K that I paid in the end.  Note that I did stay a day longer in the hospital than planned.  Otherwise, no issues with Aetna or any of the providers.  WELL WORTH THE WAIT AND THE COST!  Good luck.

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

Cheechphd
on 7/24/12 10:32 pm
I just got sleeved 7/19. Not sure if it will be different for you (mine is Aetna HMO) but I had absolutely no trouble. The thing I remember hearing in the beginning-I began the work up in February- from the NPs and office folks was that I needed to pay close attention to the details. If Aetna requires the weight mgmt visits to be 30 days apart, they mean 30, not 29, etc. Good luck!
Paisleysmommy0119
on 7/25/12 12:25 am
VSG on 07/26/12
I have Aetna pos 2. I did the 3 month option, submitted all my info and it took exactly 2 weeks to get an approval. My plan covers surgery 100% so all I've had to pay out of pocket was about $140 for some co pays. My surgery is tomorrow!! Good luck!

synthangel
on 7/25/12 12:48 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Hi Everyone!! Thank you so much for your replies. I am feeling much better after reading all this. Obviously it IS possible to get the vsg with aetna yaaayy!

I will pay extra attention to the details when it comes to getting approved.

Also did anyone have any problems from them with losing weight on the post op diet? Because I def want to get a jump start on this weight loss. But I also read (not about aetna specifically) that you can be denied if you lose too much weight or weight at all on the preop diet because 'we can lose weight' so we wouldnt need the surgery?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again
synthangel
on 7/25/12 12:53 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
 Just for FYI my bmi is currently 49% so I do not think there is any chance I would get below 40% on 3 month diet :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views