Why sugar-free?

toniosmom
on 7/26/12 11:19 am
In preparation mode with my sleeve less than 3 weeks away.....

I've noticed in my nutrition paperwork and various postings here that everything is sugar-free this or sugar-free that.  Just curious -- but why sugar-free?  If you're not diabetic, why do you need to use sugar-free popsicles, syrups, etc?  I realize that sugar=carbs, but I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners.  

Any thoughts?  
moonglo82
on 7/26/12 11:23 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Sugar= carbs, and carbs are just another source of calories. The main point of the sleeve is to make it easier for us to minimize the number of calories we take in each day... if we are eating lots of sugar, we are working against our sleeves.

Plus, some of us actually get sick if we ingest too much sugar after being sleeved. It's not fun.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

MuttLover
on 7/26/12 11:25 am
VSG on 11/14/12
 Sugar=calories with no nutritional value.  Theorectically, we should not be eating foods that provide nutrition, along with the calories.   But if you have a problem with them, then you should talk to both your doctor and nutritionist to make sure you have a diet plan that works for you and does not include artificial sweetners.  
hollykim
on 7/26/12 11:39 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
sugar is a simple carb which means it starts entring your blood stream as soon as it hits your mouth. It is a quick and readily available fuel. our bodies are lazy and as long as there is a quick and ready source of fuel in our blood stream,our bodies will use it *FIRST* instead of breaking down our stored fat to turn into fuel.

Not breaking down our stored fat + no weight loss or poor weight loss.

There are may products tht don't use artificial sweeteners and many use stevia instead. You just have to look for them.

GL

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 12:26 pm
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Seriously, just think of sugar as empty calories that work to keep your body nice and fat!
USAF Wife
on 7/26/12 12:58 pm
Also, early out sugar stuff going right on through and hits your intestines super fast.  You see newbies posting about "dumping" because they decide their bodies shouldn't be subjected to sugar free for the first couple of months then they find themselve face down on the bathroom floor or pooping themselves silly for dumping sugar into their systems too early.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

diane S.
on 7/26/12 1:00 pm
yep. you will be on an extremely  calorie and carb restricted diet to lose your weight. you can't eat much sugar, get your protein in and still stay low enough on calories.

plus sugar seems to be addictive to some of us (like me) and you have to break that cycle.

i used to really hate artificial sweeteners and now post wls i am fine with them. you will go through some big changes with surgery so keep an open mind.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Paul5678
on 7/26/12 6:37 pm - United Kingdom
Reducing carbs means that your liver will be smaller at surgery.  Makes everything a whole lot easier for you and your surgery.  If you're asking why carbs are bad, are you ready and committed to weight loss?  Best of luck.
toniosmom
on 7/26/12 8:18 pm
I knew that you would all have the answers I need.  I have no problem going sugar-free -- I just wanted to know the reason behind it.  I knew about wanting/needing my liver to shrink during the pre-op diet, but didn't realize how sugar affects it.  It helps me stick with what I need to do if I know why I am doing it.  Now when I look at a sugar-filled ice-pop, I'll know WHY it's not a good choice, not just because my nutritionist told me so.  

Thank you all for your responses.  
sam1am
on 7/27/12 2:43 am
Another consideration is that carbs crave more carbs.  You will see when you are on a low carb diet, then eat some carbs you want more, then you have to wean yourself off again.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views