1 Year surgiversary ... not as happy as I should be..

Cristina S.
on 8/2/12 12:12 am, edited 8/2/12 12:13 am - New Britain, CT
In advance I am sorry for the negative Nelly post...

Today a year ago at this time I was waiting to be taken up to the preop area for my surgery. I was so excited and looking forward to the year ahead of me. I did lose weight really quick but around the fall I started getting a lot of stalls and losing significantly slower. I know part of this is my fault. Perhaps I got to complacent when I was losing the weight. Part of it I think is that I never lost my hunger and when get lightheaded after a few hours of not eating or just feel hungry. I have had a lot of good comments about my weight loss especially since I have lost about 93 pounds.

I just thought I'd be farther off than now. I know I shouldn't compare but with my highest weigh of 307.5 pounds  and being a year out I thought I'd be over the 100 mark. I am wondering if my problems are acid related as lately I have had a lot of nausea and pressure in the stomach area especially in the morning or after meals. I had a barium swallow but the test showed no strictures. I want to have them send the pictures over to my surgeon so he can look at my sleeve and make sure it looks normal with no stretching.

Anyway I am happy that I wear a size 16 as opposed to a 24/26. I can shop in more normal clothing stores and was actually able to finally buy a bra in Walmart as opposed to Lane Bryant. I also feel more confident with the way I dress and going out to places like the beach.

I am hoping with some added exercise, back to basics and PPI that I can at least lose another 50 pounds.

Thank you for listening... your comments are welcome.

happyteacher
on 8/2/12 12:18 am
 But you did lose 93 pounds!!  That is a wonderful thing!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

debk21
on 8/2/12 12:23 am - Mansfield, TX
Hey there!  Congrats on the 93 lost in one year - put it that way and it's not a negative...when was the last time you lost 93 pounds in a year???  You know what you have to do to get the additional 50 off.  Are you willing to go there?  If so, it's totally doable....but it's all up to you.  It's a wonderful feeling to walk right past the plus sizes isn't it?  Let that be your motivation (or set a goal of something you want to do - but need to be smaller in order to accomplish) and put in the effort to get where you want to be.  You CAN do this!!!  (((Hugs!))) and Happy Surgiversary!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Shagdoll
on 8/2/12 12:30 am
Hi there,
I think losing 93 pounds is pretty darn awesome in 1 year. I'll be 1 year in a couple weeks and I'm down 110 so I'm not that much more than you. This journey isn't always easy. I know for me, I've had a lifetime of eating whatever I want, when I want. Now I've had to make the decision if I am willing to make a lifetime committment to this healthier lifestyle. I know you must feel great having lost that much weight, I know I do. Great thing about the sleeve is that it makes it a lot easier to get back on track and back to basics to get the weight off.
I wish you the best of luck. You have come a long way so you should be proud of yourself. This forum is great & we are all here to support you.
Take care!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Sutterbos
on 8/2/12 12:31 am
VSG on 06/21/12
93 pounds in a year is amazing!! Great work!!!

You did what you needed to do to get yourself down to a much healthier weight.  Be proud!!

If another 50 is your goal, I have no doubt you can do that, too.

Pkrplyr777
on 8/2/12 12:34 am - CT
Hey, cheer up. 93 lbs is hard enough to lose.

You live far from me. Why don't you plan to attend the meet and greet at Foxwoods and meet some people from our area that may be able to help and inspire you for the next phase of the journey.
It can be done. You can continue to lose weight. Just need to take a look at what your doing and tweak it out some.

good luck,
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/12 12:39 am
The truth is, it is is still possible for you to get to goal, but of course, it is going to be harder now.  You know what to do, you know how to do it.  If you want it, you can have it, but you have to be willing to fight for it.  I would love to read your two year post and have it start with, GOAL.  Make it happen, I dare you, I double dare you.  :)
jacreasy
on 8/2/12 12:51 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Congrats... It will come off ... 93lbs is a hell of a lot and without the Sleeve you couldn't have done it or you wouldn't have had the surgery like the rest of us!  Its ok to feel like that but just remember how far you have come and you will get there!! You look awesome!  

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

sunnymicki
on 8/2/12 12:56 am
The great news is that you still have your tool there for you.  I can't comment personally on how hard it is to keep losing after the one year mark (since my surgiversary isn't until Sept 26) but I can say that I've seen many people on these boards continue to lose weight past that point.  They could be the exceptions of course, but then that is also a clue that the online support is helpful, so stick around here :)

When you say you have lots of nausea and pressure in your stomach in the morning and after eating, it does sound like reflux, but it also sounds like you are pushing the limits of your restriction.  Perhaps going back to measuring out small portions (like 3 oz of meat and 1 oz of veggies) would help, along with a PPI.

My other thought/question is whether you are doing low carb when you find yourself light headed after not eating for a couple of hours?  And have you ever had your blood sugar tested?  Truly everyone should be able to go more than two hours without food without feeling hungry or light headed.

That said, if I don'****ch my carbs (stay under 60 grams max) then I do find myself dealing with both physical hunger and head hunger.  Its so predictable - if I have a high carb day one time, the next day without fail I find myself wanting to eat and thinking about food for no real reason.  When I'm staying low carb, food is practically an afterthought for me.

I hope some of this helps!  You have made a ton of progress, and you have 93 lbs of momentum to use to get yourself the rest of the way there, if you dig deep and make the changes you need to!

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Sleeva
on 8/2/12 12:57 am - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
Great Job!
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views