Post Op Recovery Questions

red42897
on 8/6/12 4:49 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 So, my surgery is August 20.  I am a single mother of two kids 5 and 8.  I am having the VSG and my gall bladder out as well.  I am really a very under prepared person a lot of the time so trying to get an idea of what this recovery is going to look like. I have a friend at work who had the sleeve and basically says she had an awesome recovery could have been back to work after one week but took two because she could.

Financially I really need to try to stick to one week off.  What I am wondering is after I get home from the hospital what can I expect? I am thinking really tired, then a little sore (I have had a laparscopy before and didn't remember being that bad as far as the incisions). I am terrible at asking for help because I never want to impose on anyone. I plan to ask the kids' dad if he can take them as his schedule allows and my parents maybe could for a bit.

Anyway, if you can help me out it would be most appreciated.  

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

moonglo82
on 8/6/12 4:56 am
VSG on 03/29/12
The good news is that your kids are big enough that you shouldn't have to do much in the way of lifting during recovery. In fact, whenever they are home while you are healing, I would ask them for help; if you let them feel like they get to help Mommy, I bet they will be proud that they get to step up to the plate.

Recovery time can vary greatly from one person to another, especially depending on the kind of work you do. My husband has a desk job and was back to work less than a week after surgery. I teach high school literature, and I could have gone back at one week, but we happened to be on spring break the week I would have gone back, so I got a little extra time by default.

If you do go back that quickly, you'll need to plan extensively to ensure that you stay hydrated and don't wear yourself out the first few days. You will probably still be a little sore and a little tired, so it will be important that you don't push yourself too much.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Pobearsam7
on 8/6/12 5:05 am
I took 5 wks off and I have no kids so I can imagine how it is for you. Just to give you some helpful tips try to put your clothes in an area so that you don't have to bend, try to get as much help w/ the kids as possible, everyday I woke up I was ready for a nap. If the kids are going to be with you try to have meals that are easy to fix? Not sure if yourself pay or have medical insurance but my insurance set me up w/ a home health aide and it was helpful, I'm 36 yrs od and not disabled but try helped me out a lot
Everyone recovers different I've seen ppl on this forum return to work the day after discharge. I went back Friday and I was drained and took today off. But wish you luck

Kelly                

2boysmama
on 8/6/12 12:24 pm - TX
I had two C-sections back to back. I have a 4 and 5 yr old. and was back to work in three weeks but.. this surgery has kicked my butt! I thought I wld go back to work in 1week ( cause I sit all day ). and had to take ANOTHER week off. I have taken a total of 2weeks and still could use 1more week to be safe but am out of paid time off. I am still VERy sore in the one incision that the surgeon said they did the most out of and my tummy is still lumpy in that area.  I was sleeven on 7/20/12. Hope this helps. Please just listen to your body. My nurse told me if I go back too soon, I will regress instead of progress. I am still unable to bend with out pain or realy excercise. I can walk but not a a fast pace like I cld before surgery.
red42897
on 8/6/12 10:12 pm
VSG on 08/20/12
Well thank you all for the input. I do have a desk job and if I do have to take time off I do have short term disability after the first week which will pay 70% of my paycheck. That's quite a hit for a single mom, but SO much better than nothing.  I will listen to my body.  My kids will be gone until Friday morning after my Monday surgery so that will help.

Will it be ok if I am alone at home after surgery?  I know my parents wouldn't come stay with me so the alternative would be to stay at their house. Does not appeal to me! LOL

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views