First date = Sushi?

NUJoyce
on 8/8/12 1:55 pm - Hayward, CA
Well I have my first date in years since the divorce and weight loss surgery.    And we are going out for sushi.   Any suggestions?   I ate sushi all the time before surgery but haven't attempted it since surgery in 2011.   

Feystorm
on 8/8/12 2:18 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I often go out for sushi now - but I stick to the sashimi mostly.  My local sushi spot that I LOVE has great salmon sashimi or a sashimi appetizer.  They also make rolls on request - based on ingredients you want.  I would say to have at it!  The salmon sashimi is great protein. 

Now I want sushi.  lol

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

acbbrown
on 8/8/12 2:27 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I  never had sushi before surgery. One of my first dates post op (about 3-4 months ago) I ended up at a sushi place and had a California Roll and fell in love (with the roll, not the guy). 

Now, I get little 4 packs from a local grocery store (they are 120 cal each - brown rice too!) and I have no problem eating it. I went out for sushi once though and tried to eat too much and it wasnt fun. 

I had not told the guy on the first date about my surgery so i was a little nervous about how much I could eat, etc, but as it turned out, i couldnt use chop sticks so it was a total distraction from any food and eating haha. 

Have fun and enjoy :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MotoChic
on 8/8/12 3:25 pm - CA
 i can eat sushi, but it makes my blood sugar shoot to the stars.
sleevegirl
on 8/8/12 3:55 pm - Austin, TX
I don't like sashimi much and I try to avoid rice because my stomach doesn't like it, so I usually get a seared ahi appetizer and call it good. (and it is QUITE good!)

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

doggz109
on 8/8/12 4:09 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Sashimi with lots of soy/wasabi (if your sleeve like it).  Heaven and very healthy!

fireman441
on 8/9/12 4:38 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 I LOVE IT AND EAT IT ALL THE TIME ,BUT I DO TAKE THE RICE OFF OF IT AND I LOVE RICE BUT STILL DONT NEED THE CARB'S RIGHT NOW ..BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR DATE ..

lelagoddess
on 8/9/12 5:51 am
Although I haven't had my revision yet, I'm hoping to be able to eat rolls (or half a roll, LOL).  Most places are used to people asking for the least amount of rice possible, so that's a good option as well.  If sashimi doesn't appeal to you, order nigiri and take off about half to 2/3 of the rice so you just have a little to soak up the soy. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/12 7:21 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
A lot of the fusion-type sushi places have low-carb alternatives beyond sashi.  For instance, wrapped in cucumber or using a cucumber or other veggie base or dynamite served in a shell.

You can also do a salad with assorted fish.  If you are far enough out you are eating salad, that it.

If you haven't had any post-op experience with rice, avoid white rice like the plaque.  It can swell up and the expansion can be painful.  Brown rice doesn't typically do that.  So brown rice rolls are okay.

Edamane and miso soup are good choices.

My primary suggestion is HAVE FUN.

julyxo84
on 8/9/12 7:37 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 I love sushi, I catually went to Benihana's yesterday and had the crunchy shrimp roll, yumm! Could only eat two pieces out of the 8 it came with.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]