Sleeved Tuesday...questions/impressions

HEATHER H.
on 8/9/12 10:27 pm - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
 I was sleeved Tuesday with Dr. Ortiz in TJ. Overall, my experience has been ok and I seem to be recovering normally. However, I would say the post-op instructions have been pretty vague and I'm wondering if I'll get any more/better info. at discharge from care tomorrow. One of my concerns is with the post-op antibiotic. I was prescribed an antibiotic with instructions to take daily for one week. However, the bottle only contains enough for 5 days. When one of the ladies in our group asked about the additional 2 days, she was told she could purchase an additional bottle for $60. Really?? That seems shady to me. Did everyone else take post-op antibiotics and, if so, how long? All things considered, I wouldn't say I regret my decision. Dr. Ortiz has a great reputation as a surgeon. Still, the lack of post-op info., etc. has me feeling a little vulnerable. Thank God I'm a nurse and have done my own research so I at least feel that I know the signs/symptoms of general post-op complications, etc. Anyone else have any similar experience/advice? 
FloridaVSG
on 8/10/12 4:04 am - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
I wasn't prescribed antibiotics at all... Had my surgery here, in Florida. Post-op instructions are KEY for your safety and recovery. You need to know his to eat, how to break down the stages, etc... Inquire, and if you get nothing let us all know and we will share with you.
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

rosiebaby1
on 8/10/12 5:05 am - PA
      my surgery was done at the barix clinic in Pennsilvania and I wasn't prescribed antibiotics either only while i was there with the iv.
Marena G.
on 8/10/12 5:56 am - LA
VSG on 07/16/12
I was never prescribed antibiotics here in New Orleans either. 

LindaDarnell B.
on 8/10/12 6:19 am
VSG on 08/07/12
 I too was sleeved Tuesday, but by a great surgical group here in South Carolina. I was not prescribed any antibiotics...I'm assuming by TJ, you're referring to Tijuana Mexico??? as to where you had the surgery? maybe it's standard procedure there bc you're traveling internationally. The only meds, prescribed for me (and most others on the forum ) was Carafate to coat the stomach, Protonix for acid/indigestion, Coumadin to prevent blood clots, and pain meds.But good luck!!!

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

HEATHER H.
on 8/10/12 10:04 am - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
 Where in S.C.? I live in Charleston. I work for MUSC and considered having it done there but couldn't justify paying 3X as much. I'm on a PPI, no Carafate. I'm surprised you were prescribed Coumadin after such a major surgery. I would figure they'd be worried about staple-line bleeding. I did get Lovenox while I was in the hospital. Good luck to you, Sleeve Sister...may we be able to defeat the shrimp n grits, bacon, and other lowcountry loveliness in our paths. LOL
LindaDarnell B.
on 8/10/12 10:32 am
VSG on 08/07/12
Omg don't mention shrimp and grits! I'm having a craving for anything-grits right about now. lol!!
As for my surgery, I had it done at Riverside Surgical in Lexington/.West Columbia. They actually installed an IVC filter 2 days before the surgery to help prevent blood clots along with the meds post-op.  While in the hospital I did get heprin s****** a day as well.

But let's hang in there together and we'll make it through to slim and trim!

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

jubjub
on 8/10/12 9:40 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I was sleeved in Mexicali, by Dr. Aceves. No Post-op anti-biotics.  They did give us one month of PPI and 8 safe to take post-op pain killers. The farmacia next door sold more of both for a reasoanble price - i stocked up with 2 additional months of PPI and a few extra pain pills (didn't need more than one or two for headaches).  

We were given a nice folder with Post-op instructions, diet plan, a copy of our leak test xray films, a full post-surgical report for our PCP and a copy of our pre-op EKG and labs.  

Pre-op we received similar materials in a Patient information guide, pre-op diet guide, travel instructions, etc.

I was very impressed by the documentation.  I've gotten a few follow up emails as well over the past few weeks with addtional information and encoragement to keep the office up to date on my progress, which I have done.  They keep a database of all patient outcomes for as long as people are willing to keep reporting.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

HEATHER H.
on 8/10/12 9:57 am - SC
VSG on 08/07/12
 Thanks so much for all of the replies. I go in today for my leak test, hopefully drain pull and discharge, afterwhich I will head back to San Diego for a few days before returning home to Charleston. Maybe I will get more info. at discharge. I did get diet instructions and a brief consult with a nutritionist. I am a little concerned bc my drain is still putting out probably 150cc per day and I'm not sure if it'll be o.k. to pull yet. Since it sounds like the antibiotic is just precautionary, I guess I should be o.k. with 5 days (plus 4 doses in the hospital). Maybe I'm just being anal. Nurses make the worst patients. LOL. 
jubjub
on 8/10/12 10:06 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 Safe travels!  There is so much information on the board here regarding diet plans (and they vary so much from surgeon to surgeon). I'd look at the information you were given and integrate it into some of the more conservative stuff around here and you should have plenty to go by for guidance.  I'm personally taking it pretty conservatively (6.5 weeks since surgery) and that seems to be working well for me.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views