how did you come up with your goal weight?

nursgirl
on 8/12/12 8:05 am, edited 8/12/12 8:07 am - Sunny Southern CA, CA
VSG on 09/14/12
 I am self pay because my insurance won't cover WLS.. hell it won't even cover a NUT or a doctor supervised diet so I'm kind of on my own (thank GOD for OH and other forums,  and google!!!) LOL anywho I'm all set to have surgery on Sept 14th and kind of randomly picked a goal weight of 150 because it sounded good haha I am 5' 4" and currently weigh 257... just not sure what parameters docs and nuts use to choose a goal.. I'm guessing maybe it's more about a "healthy BMI"?? my primary care doctor was basically clueless when I asked him but did say he'd like to see me "healthy" and at a BMI that isn't "morbidly obese"..

I'll also add here that I know it's not so much about a # on the scale as it is about being healthy again, but I'd really like to set a reasonable goal 

SURGERY 9-14-2012 DR. PONCE DE LEON
pics of my trip: 
http://wlsherewego.shutterfly.com/pictures/14              
Luvnall3
on 8/12/12 8:17 am
You and I are nearly the same in height, weight and prob. BMI. I started at 263, I am 5'4". I have been to several nut and doc's that say that their little charts show my goal weight at 140-150 range. I always thought that was too tiny for me, that I would never be that weight.  I always considered myself big boned. ( think I weighed that in 4th grade!) Anyways, my surgeon didn't tell me what his goal was and I am unsure what 150 looks like!. So I plan on working hard toward that and if I hit a number that I feel and look good enough, I will try to maintain. I am really working to lose enough to ward off this diabetes. Don't want to feel this bad at 31 yrs old anymore! Good luck to you. Hope that helps and look forward to seeing you on the loser's bench soon!

31 yrs. old~Height : 5'4" HW: 265 * SW: 263 * CW: 181 * GW: 160

acbbrown
on 8/12/12 8:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

None of my docs or surgeons have given me a goal weight. I put a bunch of numbers in a hat and pulled one out when I was setting up my ticker (ok maybe not but it was just a random arbitrary number that sounded good when I was 420 lbs)

I have come to believe that I cant set my goal weight until I get there....when I am satisfied with my # on the scale, my body fat % and my fitness level - then I will call it goal. If I could run a marathon at 190 lbs, I'd make that my "goal weight" even though i'd be clinicaly overweight.

This is the first time in my entire life my BMI has been considered overweight (and on the way down, it was the only time I was simply obese vs. morbidly obese) so I have no idea what weight i will find acceptable for me. It's just...a work in progress.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

nursgirl
on 8/12/12 8:58 am - Sunny Southern CA, CA
VSG on 09/14/12
Luvnall3 yeah it DOES sound like we are similar, looking forward to losing!!! your surgery is tomorrow?! yay!

acbbrown that makes ALOT of sense to me... thanks for putting it that way!
Mike B.
on 8/12/12 9:09 am
I found a chart online from the US Department of Health & Human Services and here are some numbers they came up with based on your height.(remember, these are JUST numbers).
Normal BMI = 18.5-24.9, Weight 110-145
Overweight BMI = 25-29.9, Weight 146-174
Obesity BMI = 30 and above, Weight 175 and up.
Now my surgeon never gave me a goal weight, but my PCP did. He told me my goal weight should be 174 for someone who is 5'10". I think he is completely nuts, because I'm almost there and I think I'm too skinny. I need to put on some weight because I look like I'm sick and I know others are thinking the same thing. What I need to do is balance out how I exercise. I only run at this time and I need to incorporate weight training to build mussel. Anyhow, good luck in picking your goal weight. Remember it's just a number and you should go with how you feel and stay healthy.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/12 9:12 am
I had picked a goal weight that I weighed at my thinnest when I was 26. As I got closer to that # on the scale, it seemed like it was too low. So I ended up revising my goal weight up 4 pounds and settled on an even 170 pounds. I seem to have settled in at about 172.

Here's the deal, my fitness level is very good, by body fat is great at 18.5% and I'm wearing a size small to medium shirt and 30-32 inch waist pants depending on the cuts.

BTW - I'm 11 pounds over being at the healthy BMI range. Too bad. I'm healthy right where I am.
starry957
on 8/12/12 9:40 am
When I think about a "goal", it makes me feel like there is an ending....which I think might not be the best way for me, personally, to think about this process.  I know that in and around a certain "size" of clothing, is where I am likely to feel good and be physically healthy.  I'm hoping? not to focus on numbers or the scale as this is a behaviour that has always been unhelpful for me all these years of dieting, gaining, etc....the weight will come off by following ANY diet, I am focusing on MAINTAINING....which is what will be precisely different than all other previous approaches....like someone said above, if that means I maintain things at 190lbs...then so be it.  I don't believe that we all "fit" into one BMI chart.   Just my thoughts....
Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

considering2012
on 8/12/12 9:46 am
Mine used height, body structure (ie. musculature, frame size) and activity level.
starry957
on 8/12/12 9:47 am
oh that's good then..that makes way more sense!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Marie M.
on 8/12/12 9:47 am - PA
My stats are a lot like yours:  I'm 5'  3.5", small frame, and 261 lbs eleven months ago.  I am now 133.8 and look pretty thin.  I revised my goal as I went along.  Initially I thought I'd go to 161 because that was a 100 lbs.  When I got there, I reevaluated and dropped my goal to 143.  I'm now almost 10 lbs below that goal.  My final goal is 130 and I'll stop there because I am on the brink of looking too skinny but I wanted some bounce around room.
My surgeon wanted me to go to 118 (according to BMI charts) and I said no way.  I think this is the kind of thing where you keep revising your goals until you settle on one that you feel comfortable at.

Good luck!

Marie

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 86 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views