Sleeved yesterday, home today

toniosmom
on 8/16/12 3:10 pm
I had to be at the hospital at 7am and was in the operating room a little after 9.  The next thing I knew I was in recovery and I was very upset because I was in a lot of pain, plus nausea.  They gave me something and then I fell back to sleep.  I woke up a couple more times and it seemed like 2 hours went by each time I woke up.  By 3, I was in my room and was much more alert.  I was feeling soreness, so she gave me some morphone (no pump).  I sent my parents home to rest and I slept a little while longer. I woke up again around 6 and asked if I should be walking.  When I first stood up, I thought I was going to feel lightheaded, but nothing!  I actually felt slightly energized.  So.....I started walking.  Did 6 laps around the halls (1/4 mile).  When I got back to my room, I was more aware of the gas.  I doesn't feel like the sharp gas pains I've felt in the past (which are usually in the intestine area).  It was under my breasts, at the top of my rib cage.  And it's more like the feeling that your stomach is about to growl really loud and then the growl never happens.  It's a wierd feeling.  With walking, I could feel it moving around.  

I walked 11 laps later that night (1/2 mile), then walked another 11 at 5am, another 11 at 10am.  Let me tell you, the walk does wonders.  Each time I walked, I picked up the pace -- they were calling me Speedy and asking me what lap # I was on.  I felt really good.  I had the leak test this morning and it wasn't bad at all.  I had to take 3 sips of yucky-tasting stuff, but since it was just sips, it wasn't unbearable.  Thankfully, all went well, so it was a matter of waiting for the surgeon to arrive and release me.  He finally showed up around 1pm and cleared me for clear fluids.  Up until then, I was limited to swabbing my mouth.  The surgeon didn't even want me swallowing anything from the swab, just to use it to wet my mouth.  No ice chips, either.  Thank you all for the advice of Biotene dry mouth spray -- it was a HUGE savior for me.  

What's working best for me right now is frozen italian ice.  I can also take sips of water or chicken broth as long as I wait between each sip.  I was able to sip more than I thought I would.  My energy level is pretty good considering I had surgery yesterday.  

For everyone out there who is waiting for their date to arrive, the best advice I could give you is to WALK.  Don't wait for them to tell you to walk, you tell them you need to walk.  I started to feel some gas moving around and as soon as I stood up and took even a few steps, the feeling passed.  Walk Walk Walk Walk Walk.

In the end, I have had not one second of buyer's remorse and I'm very excited to finally be on the losers bench!

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 3:15 pm
VSG on 09/26/12
Thank you so much for your story!  I am scheduled to have VSG on Sept 26th and I am nervous!  It's good to hear how others' experiences are.

Congrats on the loser's bench status! :)
Cinderella50
on 8/16/12 3:19 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thanks for the advice and congratulations! I am on day 2 of my liquid only preoperative diet and am starving! I can't wait to not feel hungry anymore. My surgery date is the 29th!

toniosmom
on 8/16/12 3:34 pm
I had to do the liquid diet for the 7 days prior and it sucked, so I feel for you.  Stick to it, though, because it's all worth it.  Right now, I feel like my mouth would love to chew on a cheeseburger, but I know that my sleeve can't handle anything solid right now or in the near future.  I'm committed to following the doctor and nutrutionist's plan because I want to be successful on this journey.  It's my mouth (and it's poor cravings) that put me in this position in the first place, so I will not go back there!  

Bellaluna468
on 8/16/12 3:48 pm
RNY on 10/26/12
 Congrats..I guess they sorted out the insurance issues.   Sounds like you are a champ!  Keep up the walking and sipping!

neecie1123
on 8/17/12 5:49 am - NC
 Yay, I was hoping to see a post from you.  So glad you are home and doing well, except for that ugly gas thingy.  Thanks for giving us details, it helps soooo much to know what to expect.  I hope you are feeling great real soon and lose tons of weight.  
toniosmom
on 8/17/12 6:53 am
Thanks.  That gas pressure is a killer.  It kept me from sleeping more than two hours at a time last night.  Walking really helps, though.  I'm starting to wear down my floor in my house, but it's the only thing that truly helps.  Once this part "passes", I will feel like part of the living world.  

danzeppelin
on 8/17/12 12:49 pm
VSG on 08/15/12
Congratulations! We made it to the bench! Now it's time to rock this thing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views