gas pressure

toniosmom
on 8/16/12 9:18 pm
So it's my first day home after being sleeved yesterday.  I tried to lay down in bed to sleep (I'm exhausted) and the gas pressure was just so uncomfortable.  I can feel it straight through to my back.  I got up and walked around the house a while and now I'm sitting up on the couch.  Still uncomfortable, but better than when I was laying down.  I feel like my last sip of water is sitting at the base of my throat.  

Need some encouragement -- how long was it before you could lay down?  

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/12 10:03 pm
It seemed like days and days before I could lie completely flat on my back. The first week or so I slept proppped up on multiple pillows. Once the gas was gone, my large incision hurt when I was lying down. Give yourself a good week or so to get the gas out and for the soreness to pass.

You will feel better. It may take a few days or a week, but I do promise you will feel better. Just keep sipping water. Try different temperatures of water to see what sits best for you. I had to drink tepid water. Hot anything was horrible and cold just plain hurt my stomach.

That last sip of water sitting in your throat means that your sleeve is full. The feeling will pass within a half hour or so.

Best wishes!
Feystorm
on 8/16/12 11:14 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I remember spending at least one night, possibly two propped up on my couch with some pillows.  Then we got more pillows so I could be propped up a bit in bed.  I think it was possibly 4 days before I could lay flat.  my memory of that is a little fuzzy.  lol

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

jolenecsky
on 8/16/12 11:45 pm - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
 Oh my goodness! I am having the same problem. I was in so much pain in the hospital too.  Finally, my doctor prescribed some roxicet and that has helped. Everything I drink seems to trap air in my stomach. And wow my stomach muscles are on fire. I am so miserable. 

DOS: 8/15/12

toniosmom
on 8/17/12 6:59 am
This gas pressure kept me up most of the night.  It seemed like every time I started to relax, the pressure would start and force me to get up.  It was very hard to relax.  My calves are actually a little sore from walking around so much (not necessarily a bad thing). My nutritionist suggested Isopure during this time to help get in my protein and I forgot to stock it, so my cousin is going to take me over to Vitamin Shoppe to get some.  Mostly, I'm really looking forward to taking my first shower since surgery.  Sometimes doing that makes me feel so much better.  

Gas......go away.....

donned
on 8/17/12 8:34 am
i was sleeved on 8/14 and the gas is a killer but now its all gone. It will eventually. ive been drnking hot tea and that helped.
1madman
on 8/17/12 8:45 am - CA
Peppermint tea helped me...

twinmommy09
on 8/17/12 10:22 am - IL
Had my surgery on Monday and still having difficulty with gas.  Every sip I take causes a huge gas bubble to come up.  It hurts until it reaches the top.  Need to get my protein in, but can't.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Surgery date:  August 13
Luvnall3
on 8/17/12 12:05 pm
Thank goodness....last night was the first night I could lay in my bed and sleep! I am now 5 days post op. What a wonderful thing it is to actually get sleep! I was able to lay on my left side but not my right and was able to be on my back for a while. The gas pains were still there just not as bad. I have done very little walking BTW. I wasn't up & walking til my 2nd day in hospital. :(
When I got home it was 109 that day and Dr told me not to walk outside. So I have walked my hallway-what seems like 100 times, but I think it is still not enough! Hoping for a cool down soon. The gas in my left shoulder is still there & I know more walking would help it. 
I have started to feel the restriction on drinking. I tried 1/4 c. protein drink yesterday and couldn't get it in. But today I sipped on 10 oz between 8-11am and got it all down. It does get better. I am heading outside tonight to try to walk. Heck it might be 9pm and still 98 outside, but better than the view of my hallway! lol
Hope you feel better soon. Hang in there. Just think- it can only get better from here on out!

p.s.- try a heating pad for your back. I have been using one for my neck & shoulder and it has helped a bit.

31 yrs. old~Height : 5'4" HW: 265 * SW: 263 * CW: 181 * GW: 160

shayla4u
on 8/17/12 1:35 pm - Benicia, CA
 I spent 2 nights in the hospital for pain control and the pain in your back (shoulders, neck) can be from the anasthetic for the first couple of days.  I slept good in a few days and took liquid vicoden for ovr 2 weeks because my stomach was so sore...even water hurt to swallow.  Hang in there it does get better, just give yourself some time.  This is MAJOR surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views