Fiber/Stool Softener Help

teahleah
on 8/15/12 8:33 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
*NOTE: I did search previous posts for more info but I would like a little more updated info *

Help guys! I need a way to get more fiber in my diet w/o it affecting carbs/calories. I am only about 6 weeks out and I thought i was doing pretty well until tonight...UGH...going to the 24 hour CVS to see if I can get a recommendation for fast acting stool softener...TMI I know but it's better than hurting or NOT going. (I posted this on MFP too so you don't have to respond if you already did)!

And I'm gonna finally go by the gym and weigh (yes I know it's at night and I tend to weigh myself in the PM so it's ok for me).  I'll get a scale within the next two weeks because HOPEFULLY I'll finally be able to afford a regular scale and not have to invest in one that goes up high enough!)

If everything looks good I'll come back and make my 6 weeks out post  So many good things and changes to go over...YAY!

Background Info
I am good with H2O most of the time (like 95% of the time I get in the required amount but I am of course trying to work my way up to MORE than 64 oz/day because I know that's just a minimum)

And I tend to like cheese (Baby Bel, Sargento RF Cheddar Cheese sticks, parmesan cheese, stuff like that)

And of course I was a completely regular girl BEFORE VSG and never EVER had any bathroom problems. So this---> is not my idea of a good time! UGH!!!!

Now bring on the advice please about fiber and for future reference fast acting stool softeners. 

Please and thank you!

HW: 475, Consult WT: 450.5 **Lost 63 lbs pre-op** SW: 387.5 M1: -31, M2: 
Check out my blog about my journey so far:  http://breakingoutbebe.blogspot.com
econtiff
on 8/15/12 9:05 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
Smooth Move tea is good if you need something fast. Be careful on over the counter fast acting laxatives because I took a normal dose a bit after surgery and it made me puke also. I am not sure why but try a half dose first.

I got in the habit of making a stool softening drink every morning. I have a 32oz water bottle. Fill it 3/4 of the way with water. 1 cap of Miralax and 3 tsp of wal-mart brand no flavor fiber dissolvey stuff. It has some carbs in it. I don't count them in my daily though. Anyway, that and a squirt of Mio. Shake then add ice. You know, cause the stuff will stick to ice if you don't mix it first.

Tastes just like a sweeter Mio drink. Keeps me soft and regular.
jubjub
on 8/15/12 9:08 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12
 I have similar issues.  Didn't go for 5 days, then a painful situation.  Repeat every 5 days.

Did a little research and found this formula to be pretty good - it did take a few days to kick in, but now i'm an "every other day" guy at least, and nothing painful.

Morning:  2 tsp of Benefiber.  The name brand stuff is difficult to find, but some places have a generic version - I think mine is from Walgreens.  Recommended by my surgeon for this purpose (and to add fiber to diet), so thats good.  I add this to my breakfast protein shake. Mainly adds "bulk"

Night: 1/2 a dose of Miralax.  Mixes easily with your crystal light, etc.  No taste that I can tell.  Softens and gets things moving.

That did it for me.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/15/12 9:27 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Generic Miralax is your new best friend. I took a full dose a couple of times, which got things cleared out. Now I mix 1/2 dose into my coffee every morning (can't taste it at all) and take a stool softener gelcap every night.
Be aware - you must get in your fluids or nothing much is going to help. Irritant laxatives will force the issue whether or not you're well hydrated, but you'll be miserable. Miralax is another type of stool softener - it pulls water into your intestines to keep things soft and moving.
Try to not fret if you don't become a "daily" girl - we don't eat a lot of volume. What counts is not how often but whether or not it's uncomfortable. (or downright painful)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

acbbrown
on 8/15/12 9:36 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 For whatever reason, Ive had chronic constipation for the last 14 months. Ive been through sooo many combinations of fiber+water+ laxatives+ stool softeners+ prayers to the bathroom gods...

Early out - coffee used to keep me fairly regular. Then that affect wore off lol. 

Fiber supplements dont help me - they make my problem worse (my doc said the fiber is designed to be a bulking agent to help produce BMs but if you are already backed up - then this is a bad idea). Ive tried benefiber, fibercon, gummy fiber, fiber fruit bars, quest bars, etc. 

Fiber is usually going to increase your carbs since that's what it is...the thing is that most fiber is not digested by the body, so its not really adding those calories to your intake (thats where the idea of total vs net carbs come in). 

Ive taken Dulcolax stool softeners for 14 months now. It's been my only life saver. But I recently started on a rx laxative (the compound is similar to miralax but a little different - miralax never worked for me). 

Sorry you're dealing with this!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

teahleah
on 8/15/12 11:24 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
Thanks guys! I ended up asking the pharmacist at CVS and recommended Colace. So I get in the car, took two (it said to take 1-3) and headed home. I talked to my Mom for a bit in the car and then went inside. About 15 mins later was the following...
Round 1 = Gas Round 2 = Stomach cramp (just slightly...thought it was more gas) Round 3 = UH OH! GOTTA GO NOW!!!! 
Not sure if I just needed some extra water because I just can't imagine the Colace worked THAT fast but I will definitely try all of the combos above to make sure that I don't have to run into this problem again...
Now if I can just get my bowels to stop making noise, etc. so I can get some sleep...
*sigh*
And look for my 6 weeks post tomorrow...I made it to my first goal! 

Bf516
on 8/16/12 6:21 am
I'm a preop but during my surgeon talk he suggested Miralax!
rhearob
on 8/16/12 8:52 am - TN
 Miralax or FiberCon tablets.

Warm Green Tea can help too.  Walking will also help.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

teahleah
on 8/16/12 11:22 pm
VSG on 07/02/12
Hi Rob! Any green tea or a particular kind? I have some Lipton Green Tea so if that kind is okay then I won't have to buy anything else. 

rhearob
on 8/16/12 4:33 pm, edited 8/16/12 4:33 pm - TN
 I brew my own at home, just like sweet tea but with spenda.  No particular brand.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 144 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 417 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 437 views