Sleeved and annoyed

red42897
on 8/21/12 6:24 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 Well I was sleeved yesterday yay! Last night was awful and this morning not much better. I was supposed to get another dose of meds for gas pains and muscle spasms (abdomen) almost an hour -ago. Called the nurse they said they'd check. Then another Nurse stopped by because my IV was beeping and said she's check with my nurse 15 min later still nothing. I pray the whole day won't be like this.

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

moonglo82
on 8/21/12 6:29 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Ugh! Sorry you're having to put up with that. I would make sure and tell your surgeon about the experience you're having, as well as the head nurse.

My husband had a similar experience when he was sleeved a year and a half ago... I had to get pretty ugly with his nurse, because he had been waiting for nausea meds for four hours and she had not brought a single thing yet. When the surgeon's liason came by the next morning, I made sure she knew what was going on, and let her know that I had told the head nurse as well. I understand these nurses in hospitals get overworked sometimes, but that's not his fault, and it's not your fault either. Don't be afraid to speak up!

When do you get to go home? I bet you'll feel better once you're home.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Gityup7
on 8/21/12 6:29 am - CA
Ask for the charge nurse.

toniosmom
on 8/20/12 11:30 pm, edited 8/20/12 11:30 pm
If you are sitting there for an unreasonable amount of time in pain, then hit the call button again.  If you are repeatedly left in pain, ask to speak with the Head Nurse about the situation.  There is no reason for anyone to be in pain if meds are due to be administered.   

I strongly suggest that you walk around to alleviate the gas pain -- it will probably do more for you than anything else.  I had an IV and a catheter and was constantly walking.  I had very little gas pain and I'm sure that's why.  

Hope you get some relief soon!

danzeppelin
on 8/21/12 6:52 am
VSG on 08/15/12
Yeah walking is paramount. I weaned myself off of pain meds as soon as I could handle it, cause bodily functions remained asleep, and numb, the gas pains hurt me more than the surgery, so I wanted to pass gas, go pee, and so on...
I mean for sure they shouldn't be ignoring you in your room. I had trouble with one nurse, a dude, and had to set his ass straight, but after that it was pretty smooth.

red42897
on 8/21/12 6:54 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 Honestly these muscle spasms are the worst part. I would like to stay another night if I can but will wait until later to make sure. Thanks for the tips if
It happens again I'll ask for head nurse. No one is here with me so it's a little harder.

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

TRISH S.
on 8/21/12 7:13 am
VSG on 07/03/12

Sounds like you need to call them every 15 mins. until you get your meds. There is no reason  you should be in pain. If that doesn't work, call your surgeons office directly.

Hang in there, it gets so much easier day by day.

kimbethin
on 8/21/12 8:06 am - CA
How's the walking going?  It really helps the gas situation.  If you are feeling well enough to walk on your own, get up and do a few laps of your floor every hour.  It's better than pain meds, which as Dan said, slow everything down.  Hope you feel better soon!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
lisa2job
on 8/21/12 8:16 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
 wow sorry that is happening to you!!!  little prayer going out to  you so that gas pain goes away quickly and the nurses are super nice and take care of you 
TNERNURSE
on 8/21/12 8:37 am
 Most hospitals use PCA pumps were you push a button and a dose of medication is administered through your I.V. I was one of the lucky ones no pain or nausea - so i instructed them to not hook the PCA pump up when they rolled it into the room. My hospital is actually using IV tylenol for bariatric surgery with good success. It was started in the preop area and I received a dose IV every 6 hrs and never needed anything else for pain. When I got back to my room from recovery I immediately got up and walked around the nursing floor. Everyone is different some have more pain and nausea than others. Hopefully they can get this under control and you  will feel like walking. Good luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views