Take shakes on cruise or not?/Cheating_Need advice.

hollirrose
on 8/30/12 5:30 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
I'm leaving in just a couple of days for an 8 day cruise. I was planning on taking premier protein shakes with me...but I may have changed my mind. I plan to take one checked bag for my family of 3. Thats a lot of weight and space in my suitecase. Then I thought of getting powder. I would have to go buy some and it is pretty expensive. I also drink it with almond milk and all regular milk has a lot of carbs. Ok...so by know you have probally noticed I am making excuses about the shakes. Perhaps the truth is I want a vacation from them as well. I have always, since day three, got a min of 60 grams of protein. Always. I can only eat about 1.5 oz of dense protein at a meal. I don't think I can get in 60 a day without a shake. Maybe if I add a meat snack or two I could come close...but if I miss the mark as few of the days will it be harmful to my heath? Is it going to set me way back on my weight loss? I also will not have mfp to keep track of my intake. I currently track every single bite I put in my mouth. At 4.5 months out I can eyeball portions pretty well and I def know when something is within my plan or not. I eat 600 calories/20 carbs/min 60 protein a day. I've lost 99 lbs so far. While on vacationing I will still have theses same goals but I was not going to feel guilty if I went a little over on the carbs. If I want a bite or two of fruit I'm gonna have it...I wasn't going to worry about the sauce the meat was cooked with...etc. Nothing crazy but just less controlled then I normally am. Is this way of thinking back to my fat girl thinking and cheating or is this just living life normally. I'm really torn about this. What do you all think?
MuttLover
on 8/30/12 5:33 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 Can you contact the cruise line to find out if they can make any arrangements for you -- like having a small supply of protein shakes or almond milk on board?  You never know!

Enjoy your trip!
skinny cat
on 8/30/12 5:52 pm
VSG on 01/08/13
 I cruise quite frequently and find the cruise lines very helpful. They will usually let you use their blender for the shakes if you'd like. I do think, as stated in above post, that they will stock almond milk if you call and ask them to put a couple cartons on the ship. I think you should have something with you in case you feel you need to have a shake to get back in control. There is always plenty of food on a ship, but sometimes not what you would like. Ask the waiter in the dining room for what you want and they will usually get it for you, even if its not on the menu. I say to go and have a good time, but have some powder with you if you need it. You could even get some fruit flavored ones that mix with water and sip them poolside. Enjoy!!!

sleevegirl
on 8/30/12 5:54 pm - Austin, TX
I went to Disney at 12 months post op. I didn't take any of those damned things. Frankly, I was on vacation and I needed a break. I'm sure others will gasp at that, but that was my thing.

I took protein bars, beef jerky and just made smart eating choices. With all the walking and stuff... I lost six pounds. It's all about being mindful.

Most cruises will have fish as an option... good protein content. Just be careful with the preparation.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

loverofcats
on 8/30/12 5:55 pm
Instead of looking at it as cheating, try looking at it, as a choice to go off plan. You are in control of your life and intake. I'm sure the cruise line would make any needed accomodations. You may not have MFP, but paper and pencil work well. Also, if you have a smartphone, there might be times, when access is available. The choice is yours. Protein is very important and needs to be your top priority.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

ksommer08
on 8/30/12 6:06 pm - OH
VSG on 06/25/12
I went on a cruise during my pre-op diet (very very pre-op, really just my 12 months of dietician meeting, but I was pretty good about following plan then). I called ahead and explained my dietary needs so that I had options available and they were great about it. My head waiter (who was absolutely AMAZING) made a game out of bringing me out a selection of 2 or 3 bite desserts every night that were well within plan (my carbs were higher then, I could have fruit) that made me feel like I wasn't missing out on anything. I think if you call ahead, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how accomodating they are, and how the chef will step up to the challenge of making you super yummy on plan food.

Happy966
on 8/30/12 6:22 pm

I don't think it matters one way or the other what you actually do - at least not as much as why you're doing it.  I so much agree with Gail (loverofcats).  Cheating is a false construct that we make up because we see how we're eating as some outwardly-imposed thing, like we're somehow pulling something over on "the man."  Except, we're "the man." 

You can make a decision to change your plan.  To another plan - your cruise plan.  It won't look the same as your home plan, but it's a plan and that will be what you do.  It sounds like you already have your cruise plan.  I might still consider recording your food, even if it's not via MFP.  It helps keep me grounded. 

Will it set your weight loss back?  It does for me, but that's okay.  I don't go crazy on vacation, but I will have more variety of food, more calorie dense food, and sometimes I start struggling a big.  Because, for me, the hard part is coming back to my non-vacation plan after being on vacation.  The extra carbs on vacation make me hungrier and wake up the monkey.  So I do suffer a bit as I re-enter my normal way of eating.  I also try to post a lot here and on MFP to keep me focused on the goal (back on "normal" plan).  Good luck and enjoy!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

hollirrose
on 8/30/12 8:10 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
Thank you... Thank you ... Thank you! Everyone had great suggestions. I like the idea of a vacation plan being diffrent then my home plan. It is funny that pre surg I had a disordered way of thinking about food. There were times that I wouldn't order somethig that looked good on the menu because the portion might not be fill me up or I would think about something in my fridge until I had eaten it all. I still have a disordered way of thinking now it is just at the very opposite end. I think about the nutritional value of everything I consume. I still think about food in kind of an unhealthy way.. how many carbs...how many calories..how was it prepared. I need to find a happy place in the middle, I think. I have one stinkin' pound to go before I reach the century club. I'm had hoped to get there before I left on vacation...but guess what? Even if I don't before I leave...I will still get there. I spend a lot of time explaining to non vsg people that I can eat anything that I want to now...anything but I make a choice everyday not to just eat anything. I choose what works for me and cake and bread does not work for me now. I will buy the powdered protein shakes and pack them. Hell, I really don't even mind them. I can mix them with water or milk. It is not going to take up any space and I will have them if I want them. I suspect if I had gone without anything I would regret it. Again, thank you! I needed someone else's point of view.
acbbrown
on 8/30/12 11:16 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I went on a cruise in March - Iw as around 9 mo post-op. I brought protein powder but I dont think I ended up using much of it. 

But, If you are worried about meeting minimum goals, bring the powder and just use skim milk. yes, the carbs may be a little higher than you like, but it's not like you are eating a candy bar - it's milk. Protein, a little sugar and a way to get your protein. The alternative is trying to force youself to eat more/eat more often, and you will probably end up consuming more than if you just had the shake with milk -just my thoughts. 

However, I brought protein bars which worked out well. Meals - I had tons of protein options, and did well sticking to those until the last 2-3 days of my 7 day cruise (by then all temptations won over lol). BK was lots of eggs and meats and omlettes. Lunch and dinner always had relatively healthy meat options - fish, chicken, beef, turkey. Always had a sandwich station to get deli meat/cheese from. There was a whole rotissirie grill station where they had carved ham and chicken - pure healthy protein. So, just look around before you start grabbing and make the best decision possible - that's what life will ultimatlely be about. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

kimberleyann
on 8/31/12 5:40 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
I have brought my protein powders along on holiday with me and found them easy to use to keep up my protein levels.  The fruity flavoured Nectar powders were great over ice when relaxing beach/pool side.  The chocolate flavoured ones mix great with coffee in mornings for a chocolatte drink.  I also had my Quest bars along with me on outings so I had a good back up in case there wasn't any appropriate food for my eating plan. Did I use them daily? No but they were there when I needed them to top up if I was short on protein.  I came home from my holiday having still lost 1lb.  To each his or her own.  I had plenty of room to pack mine so it might be different for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views