VSG last week. Complications and questions.

sleevicidal_maniac
on 8/29/12 8:58 pm
I had 2 surgeries, the first, my scheduled VSG on Wed the 22nd and then an emergency go-back because of bleeding and more on Thursday evening, the 23rd.

I was in ICU for 3 days and then back to a regular recovery floor and released Monday night. I am having all kinds of weird pains and ticks and bruising and I don't know what is normal, what isn't, what might be normal from the redo, etc...

I will leave this post open until it is approved by a moderator (brand new and a little nervous) and maybe some of you VSG veterans can reply with some of the post-op ouches you experienced and then I can fill in some more detail in the morning.

I was 300lbs and 39BMI on Wednesday morning before my surgery, and now I am 281.2 but because of the back-to-back operations, I haven't eaten anything in a week and a day except a few sips of cranberry juice and a couple spoons of jello.

Anyway, hi and I hope I can learn a little and share to help someone else. I'm a 40 yr old guy, so in addition to just having all of my dignity surgically removed (catheter and ICU #2 issues).... I'm a little nervous about what's going on too.

acbbrown
on 8/29/12 9:20 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Wow - sounds like you had a rough go!

I'm kind of too far out to remember all the little aches and pains but I'll try my best - 

The obvious abdominal pain - actual incisions didnt hurt (they started itching around a week) but it felt like I did a million sit ups and then got kicked a few times. 

I had lots of leg/foot cramps for 2 weeks - probably because I got dehydrated. 

The gas was the worst - i think because it's a "silent killer" - there wasn't really any one specific pain that I could identify as gas - I mean, id feel sharp pains in my stomach, my side, my chest, my back. 

Welcome to the boards! Hope the rest of your recovery is a little smoother from here on out. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Amibennett
on 8/29/12 9:24 pm - Washougal, WA
VSG on 06/28/12
Sorry to hear about your complications. My surgery went smoothly and the only real pain I experienced was from the drain and when it was removed, the pain went with it. I will say the pain was worth it, I couldn't be happier with my decision to have the VSG and I look forward to getting out of bed everyday and jumping on the scale to check out my progress. Hoping your situation is just a small bump in the road for you and you will be feeling better soon.
kimbethin
on 8/29/12 9:55 pm - CA
So sorry it's been so rough on you.  You were probably on an anticoagulent to prevent clots in the hospital, which made bleeding a risk. It could also have caused your bruising, I came home with some nasty ones.  Like Allison said gas pains can make you crazy, and the immobility in ICU can add to some general aches and feelike like you've been rolled over by a tank.  Add posible electrolyte imbalance and dehydration and YIKES!  Now that you are home and stable, getting moving and sips of fluids all day long will help you feel better.  At this point every day should feel at least a little bit better than the day before.  Fever, new severe pain, shortness of breath or drainage from your incisions should be reported to your doc.  Slowly increase your oral intake, but if you aren't getting enough liquids your urine will be really dark and small amounts, you may need IV fluids.  This isn't easy but for me even on the hardest days I know it was worth the effort.  Good luck and don't be shy about posting.  There is also a no girls allowed men only forum for whatever guy stuff come up.  Did I mention make yourself walk around the house every hour for a little bit while you are awake?  Feel better- Kim
putting one foot in front of the other...        
soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/29/12 9:55 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 I am sorry you are not feeling well.  I just had my surgery on the 16th and my experience was major gas pain and feeling like I did a ton of sit ups.   The gas pain finally went away after 2 days but it sucked hard. I was walking and walking and more walking as everyone here said to do after surgery.  It helps relieve the pain.  I wish you the best of health! Take care and hope you feel better soon!

Allie A.
on 8/29/12 10:33 pm - Canada
Aww man! Hang in there. I remember coughing, sneezing, or any type of abdominal flex hurt a lot. I bet you hurt double because of 2 surgeries. Your nurse may have already told you, but if you press a pillow accross your stomach when you cough or sneeze, it helps SO much.

Bruises make it look worse than it is. Two of mine are still not 100% gone at 6 months out.

Right now your probably missing food. As soon as you're able to eat, you might not want to. I found that for a month or even longer, the sensation of food in my stomach made me nauseous. It's a blessing in disguise. Hang in there!
Shagdoll
on 8/29/12 10:43 pm, edited 8/30/12 3:45 am
I just wanted to say sorry for all the hardships you had to go through. Hope things get better soon!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

jenngirl
on 8/30/12 5:52 am
VSG on 06/25/12
I am very sorry that you are going through so much. That sounds horrible!! I hope that you are feeling way better very soon.

I don't remember a lot of pain or strain from the surgery, like some of the people mentioned feeling like they had done a lot of sit-ups or getting kicked. I sometimes had gas pains so bad that I had to go to bed and sleep it off, though. That felt like someone was twisting my insides.  I remember being nauseated constantly for 4 weeks. I remember wondering what the heck I had done to my body. That is about it.

After about a month, all of the nausea and gas pains went away. I went through a stall, and am back on track and feeling great. It may not seem like it now, but you will get there! I promise!

Good luck and feel better!

Marley M.
on 8/30/12 7:00 am - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with
So sorry that you are having a harder time than normal. I am five weeks out and did not have a lot of surgical pain. I did have gas pains, but like everyone said, walking helps. I was up and walking the next day and walking for 45 mins on the third day. I did have some headaches and dizziness but realized it was dehyradition. That went away as I was able to drin more. Good Luck!

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

AllaP
on 8/30/12 10:11 am - Vaughan, Canada
 I'm sorry you are going through this rough time. But I have good news for you. A lady from my support group went through the same thing. She's totally fine. Just hang on. I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Alla.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 463 views