Cruising Post-Op

toniosmom
on 9/1/12 5:09 pm
I am scheduled to go on a cruise on November 4th -- which is about 11-1/2 weeks post op.  My nutritionist advised to take advantage of all of the great seafood you can find on a cruise (in very small portions, of course).  My plan is to make this trip all about the activities and not the food.  

Has anyone cruised about 2-3 months after surgery?  What was your experience?  

carebear32958
on 9/1/12 5:14 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I haven't personally gone, but I have a few friends who went cruising post sleeve and most of the cruise lines, you can call ahead and let them you know you are post op bariatric patient and they will stock special stuff for you so you don't have to cheat the whole time your out.  I would definitely try that first :) 
(deactivated member)
on 9/1/12 5:30 pm
At 11 weeks out, you will be as fine as you wish to be.  What I mean is that you will be able to tolerate solid food just fine and as long as you eat small portions of lean dense protein, think chicken, fish, even beef and pork, you should be just fine.  The problem is going to be the temptation, how you are going to deal with that, well, that's a whole other post.
austinglobe
on 9/2/12 3:36 am - Austin, TX
I was on my honeymoon cruise at about 3.5 months out.  There are many options on the ship, and all the cruises I have been on - they always are willing to accommodate special requests. 

The only problem I had is that when I was done eating, they always thought I had not liked the meal because there was so much left over.  Then they'd offer or just bring out something different in the hopes that I would "like it" better.

I was constantly having to explain that I was full or even told them we had eaten a snack earlier (just so they would leave me alone.)
Band to sleeve revision.  Please add me as a friend to view my profile.        
toniosmom
on 9/2/12 5:05 am
I think I'm going to be so paranoid about getting sick that I won't overeat.  I have been looking forward to this cruise for such a long time and have several fun activities planned with my 7 year old son that I don't want to miss.  We are going to be swimming with the dolphins in the Bahamas, swimming with stingrays at Great Stirrup Cay, and will be spending a day at Universal Studios in Florida.  

Good idea about contacting the cruise line ahead of time.  As far as the wait-staff is concerned, I guess I'm going to have to wear a t-shirt that says "I've had bariatric surgery....love the food, can't eat it all" whenever we go to dinner.  LOL.  All kidding aside, I don't have a problem telling them that I had surgery.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views