Help! I need to slow down!

toniosmom
on 9/11/12 7:22 pm
I have always been a fast eater.  So, this is a 50+ year old habit that I am struggling to break.  I find that I am eating way too fast right now and I can't seem to stop this crazy train!  

Do you have any strategies that you use to slow yourself down?   

econtiff
on 9/11/12 7:29 pm - FL
VSG on 04/24/12
Use smaller utensils. Toddler sized if you have to.

Set it down after each bite.

Count 40-50 chews before swallowing.
acbbrown
on 9/11/12 7:30 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Nope...i still eat and drink too fast. But, getting the foamies a few times early out made me slow down a little bit. I definitely think twice before continuing to eat too fast - i dont want to risk the foamies!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

2BoyzNMama
on 9/11/12 7:32 pm - CO
VSG on 11/01/12
At my seminar they said to buy a timer and set it for 2 min between each bite.  Not sure if it works...I'm still pre-op but I'm guessing it will help some.
newme2011-2012
on 9/11/12 8:11 pm
Sorry can't help here.. i am still a hoover...Luckly I have never had the foamies or any issues.
I am just the first one done with my few ounces of food and have more time to talk
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

cajunlady1958
on 9/11/12 8:38 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I use chop sticks. It not only slows me down but helps me in taking smaller bites.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Wildcat-NYC
on 9/11/12 8:48 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I put my fork or spoon down between each bite...I try to wait a minute before I take a new bite.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
carebear32958
on 9/11/12 10:26 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I literally eat like a toddler! LOL, I seriously cut anything I have up into teeny tiny pieces and eat one piece at a time.  If its like cottage cheese or something I use a spoon for, I found that if I set a timer and give myself a household chore to do while eating helps.  Usually fold laundry...take a little bite, fold something, and this contiues.... good luck
toniosmom
on 9/12/12 3:46 am
Thank you for all of your great suggestions!  I'm going to start using a smaller spoon and putting it down between bites.  I like the timer idea too.  

doggz109
on 9/12/12 4:41 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
What types of foods are you eating right now?  If you are still on softs.....ehh that is probably why.  Once you start eating dense solid protein.....you just won't be able to do it.

At eight months now.....I KNOW IT if I don't chew well enough....almost immediately.  My body doesn't give me a choice anymore....I'm gonna chew and the food needs to be moist.

The other tips here should help with softer foods.....eat with baby spoons, smaller plates/bowls, don't eat distracted (tv, computer, etc).

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views