Dr. Cirangle

cece58
on 9/17/12 11:04 pm - CA

Why I am forever grateful to Dr. Paul Cirangle. I met him 2 years ago when on a whim I made an appointment for a consultation. Thought I would get a Lapband. I weighed 196 lbs and wanted to get down to 135. I wasn’t that fat, I thought.  Not so fat that I needed anything “major". Didn’t know much about VSG but had a friend who had one. The 2 things that I will always remember about that first meeting was that he said that I was “that fat"and that I could weigh 120 lbs within a year. He said insurance wouldn’t cover me and that the cost was $17,000. He also told me his feelings about the Lapband and VSG and explained things very clearly. His follow up plan was for two years post op with weight counseling and support. I left his office determined to find a way to get $17,000. Two weeks later I had opened up two credit cards with 6 months 0% interest rates (10k credit line each) and off I went to the hospital. What he didn’t tell me was how he would be a major part of my life---for the rest of my life. He didn’t tell me that he would be there  answering every question that popped into my head, be there for me when I was frustrated or stressed out or didn’t understand how certain foods would affect me. He personally answers all my emails usually within minutes. I didn’t realize that I would learn everything I needed to know about carbs, protein and fats, exercise, water and if I needed to learn them all over again, he was there. I didn’t realize I could go to a support group (led by him) at least once a week at various locations throughout the Bay Area and beyond. I didn’t realize that when I needed an appointment to see him I could call and make one anytime I wanted and I didn’t even need to drive to his office in San Francisco because he would come to me, where I lived. He sees patients in different locations every week. Never have a co-pay. Never have asked him a question that he couldn’t answer. He was spot on with my weight loss EXCEPT I wasn’t 120 lbs in a year, I was 115 in 8 months!  So, my two years is up at the end of the month. I asked  him if this means that I am done going to follow up appointments. His answer: NO. I can see him as much as I want for as long as I want. What kind of surgeon does that? What kind of doctor does that? I know that I will never be fat again because I have a life long partner that will be taking care of me for as long as I need it. $17,000---best bargain I have ever received. Thank you, Dr. C for your passion, your expertise and your excellent care. I will be forever grateful. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Allie A.
on 9/17/12 11:53 pm - Canada
Wow, what a positive story. I feel like we are in the same boat, as lower BMI patients. He sounds like a great surgeon and person. Someone's getting a Christmas card this year!
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/12 4:29 am
My experience was exactly the same as what you describe and I too am forever grateful.  I missed the last support group meeting because it was not on the third Wednesday as usual and I have my work schedule set up in such a way that I can take off on the third Wednesday in order to make the meetings.  I have been experiencing serious Dr. Cirangle withdrawals ever since.  :)  There is something about sitting in the room with him and having him hold you accountable that just helps me stay focused.  I feel seriously lucky to have him as my partner in all of this.  There is also something about the camaraderie of his patients that really works for me.  I think it is unique because he hold his own support groups and that makes it worthwhile for some of the VETS to continue coming even years after reaching goal. This helps the pre-ops and provides immeasurable support for us as we go through this process.  The journey never really ends, and I am so lucky to have you there with me along with the others.  I really believe it's that very synergy that makes this so healing.  As far as Dr. Cirangle, well, I think you and anyone *****ads these boards knows where I stand about him as a surgeon and as my coach through this.  I will never forget what he's done for me, the $17,000 I paid was the best money I have ever spent.
cece58
on 9/18/12 7:31 am - CA
 I forgot to add that the friends that I have met are just an extra special added bonus!!! I am so blessed to have met some of the most caring and wonderful people who have struggled on the same journey as I have. My weight was such a major part of my life so as long as I can remember and the only reason that I was "only" 85 lbs overweight was because I obsessed about it every day. I never won the battle until the day I walked into Dr. C's office. You are a wonderful friend Elina and I am lucky to have you to turn to when I need to . 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

christinahelena
on 9/18/12 7:47 am - CA
What a great post Lisa, I am so looking forward to having him as my surgeon, and being on this path with you and all the other vets in that support group. You all inspire me, and , you all made me feel like family from the first day...I would highly recommend this support group to Anyone who can make it! Next one is the 17th of October. And Lisa, you have done amazing and should be so proud of yourself! You look fantastic, and I so appreciate the support and encouragement you have given me already. Even though I am a bit scared, as my date comes up soon, I know I am in the best of hands and feel so blessed, and have a team of support! How cool is that? Thanks, Christina
cece58
on 9/18/12 7:59 am - CA
 It's been such a long journey for you Christina. I don't know how you have managed to stay focused. Once you have had your surgery you will realize this long wait has totally been worth it. I know your frustrations and issues are upsetting but you will get there soon and will be so proud of your accomplishments. You have chosen the right surgeon and, as you know, you have a great support group and friends to help you along the way. 
Lisa

christinahelena
on 9/18/12 10:48 am - CA
 Lisa, and Elina and Lee... I am touched and honored at the brief thread hijack...I have stayed focused because it is fun being in the same room as all of you beautiful ladies, and you so inspire and encourage! How could i not want the lives you have created for yourselves? I thank you from the bottom of me heart, for giving me the strength to NOT chicken out! Group hug all around! Stephanie,I totally recognized you were joking there because of previous posts.
I think you are spot on, Cirangle really does tell his patients straight up to maximize the honeymoon phase because it will get harder ( not impossible mind you) but harder further out when you have more hunger and have figured out how to eat around your sleeve. That way, you only have to battle those things to stay in maintenance and not regain, and it is not screwing up your losing. Sounds like you have gotten yourself seriously back on the losing track though, and way to go you! It takes major courage to ask for advice and try a new version of the path. Your posts are always very introspective. I think that is why Cirangles vets sometimes take the heat for being so religious to his program, who wants to lose slow and get stuck halfway to goal? No fun. The vets have heard it over and over because of some drs "eat whatever you want in smaller portions advice," and seen many frustrated folks. Now I know exactly what I am SUPPOSED to do.....let s see how I am at doing it ..so much harder to walk the talk. I have been a good student, just hope I have the same inner strength as you all! ..I think you all have amazing  strength and fortitude!!!,!  I do know this, Having to face you incredible women, along with Jimbo and Frisco and Sandra, and Diane, and Patty and Cathy, and Devon....Well, I have a super support system AND a lot of huge shoes to try to fill, 
Sorry for the hijack :)
Hugs,
Christa
Wildcat-NYC
on 9/18/12 7:20 am, edited 9/18/12 8:12 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Amen!  I wanted a doctor who would tell me what to do and had a program that was proven to work.  He's given me goals and I'll be damned if I don't hit his goals.  Don't want to see what his unhappy face looks like...yikes!

I wish I could go to the support groups, but even being an out of stater I have never felt lost or like I didn't know what the next step was.  You will never see a Cirangle patient posting questions about what to eat during each phase, etc.  And if I did have questions I would go to Gabriella or Dr. C.  Isn't that what we pay for?

Christina - you will do great!  Just follow his plan - it works!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/12 7:59 am
I know you know this already Christina, but we've got your back.  I think you are going to get more support than you know what do with.  :)  We are all a little opinionated and driven around there you know.  I am sure you haven't already noticed this.  :)

Your first batch of my Green Chicken soup is on me.  Hand delivered if necessary. 

christinahelena
on 9/18/12 10:53 am - CA
 Oh, I am so going to sign up for the soup of the month club! I will so graciously accept the first batch on you! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 376 views