Update/vent (very long)

EliseG
on 10/1/12 4:14 am - MA
Hey OH friends
I haven't been posting much as of late, wanted to give an update. I hit 5 months post op yesterday. I usually take pics at each month but I didn't take any yesterday. Here's what's been going on. 
Toward the beginning of September I was hospitalized due to an extremely low platelet count, and diagnosed with ITP. I was in the hospital until they could get my platelets to a safe level (about 30), which they did with crazy high doses of prednisone and platelet infusions. I was discharged from the hospital on a large dose of prednisone.
My bariatric doc was worried about my stomach because of all the steroids, and put me back on full liquids. It was pretty miserable, the steroids make me positively starving. I have been able to eat soft foods since late last week, which is better but still hard. I am so so hungry all the time, hunger levels haven't been this bad since before surgery (side effect of prednisone).
This past Friday I had another follow up with my hematologist. This usually involves talking for a few minutes, then getting blood work. He calls me a day or so later with my results and what to do for the next week or so in terms of steroids/treatment, etc. Friday night I decided to check my online record, and my platelets had plummeted again. I didn't have any on call information for hematology, but I was able to talk with my PCP who told me to double (yes DOUBLE) the steroid dose for the next few days to try and head off having to be admitted again. So I've done that, and I'm still waiting to hear back from my hematologist today as to what happens now. I don't know what he's going to suggest, since my platelets dropped again without having done any tapering of the steroids.
Life has also been really busy, between work, classes, all the Dr.s appointments, DH and I started couple's counseling, etc etc. My weight loss right now is extremely slow, but all things considered at least I'm not gaining which often happens with steroids. Been feeling a little down lately, but I know that feeling at least is just temporary. I know I won't get to goal as quickly as I might have been able to if all this hadn't been thrown in there, but I'm still committed to getting to a healthy weight.
Anyone who made it through this, thanks for reading 

lisa2job
on 10/1/12 4:21 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
Hi
I am so sorry that you are havng problems,  I had to actually look up ITP  never heard of it.  steriods can't be fun especially with this surgery.  at least you looked at the positve side you are not gaining any weight. 
Sending you bigs hugs and wellness wishes !!! 

EliseG
on 10/1/12 4:28 am - MA
Thanks so much
I had never heard of it either!

acbbrown
on 10/1/12 4:31 am - Granada Hills, CA
 When you reach your goal, you'll just have even more reason to celebrate. I can't imagine how tough this is - but at the end of the day - this isn't about a number in the scale. Focus on making the best choices you can   

Big hug girl. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

EliseG
on 10/1/12 4:42 am - MA
Aww thanks girl I need hugs right now
Hugs all around!

Italian-Princess
on 10/1/12 4:41 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Elise

You know I've been following your story here and on MFP.  So sorry you have to deal with all this.  And with all the other things you have going on, you must be a world class juggler to do everything!

I'm impressed that you are continuing to lose weight while you're on prednisone -- shows a LOT of fortitude on your part!  WTG Girl!!!

I have no help to offer, no advice............just sending you healing and comforting hugs and wishes that this gets resolved ASAP.

Ree
EliseG
on 10/1/12 4:44 am - MA
Thanks so much, Ree
Your support both here and on MFP really means a lot. It's really helpful to see positive comments especially at a time like this.

LaughingCow
on 10/1/12 4:53 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Good for you for hanging in there.  Do they think the surgery or a related medicine triggered the ITP?

What a crummy time for this to hit you! 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
EliseG
on 10/1/12 4:57 am - MA
Thank you so much, it is pretty crummy timing.
They have no idea what caused the ITP. They did say that they usually do not find a cause in adults

melz1974
on 10/1/12 4:56 am
VSG on 07/10/12

So sorry to hear you're having medical issues.  I hope they figure things out and they can decrease/stop the steroids.  I know things are challenging but don't let it get you down.  Take care of your whole self and get through this.  I'm impressed that you haven't gained.  When my mom was on steroids she always put on a lot of weight.  Keep staying strong!!  :)

Sleeved July 10th ~ My independence day!
Highest Weight: 302, Consult Weight:298 Surgery Weight:263 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views