Ladies: Questions about TOM, cravings, and coffee

lala285
on 10/2/12 7:40 am - OK
VSG on 08/06/12
Hi Everyone! I'm almost 2 months post-op and about 35 lbs down since day of surgery.

Prior to surgery I had insulin resistance (IR) and Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). They go hand-in-hand. IR is a common symptom for most women with PCOS. Still have both, but improving. My cycles have never been very regular, going everywhere from 2-6 months between periods. That said, since surgery, my cycle has gotten much more normal, averaging every 30-32 days. I had one right after surgery, then about a month post-op, and I'm due for another soon. I use an app to track my periods and it shows when I'm most likely fertile/ovulating. One thing I've noticed since surgery is I swear my cravings for carbs (especially sweets) is way stronger during ovulation and my fertile period. I am not trying to get pregnant and I'm not on the pill. Do you think the cravings are real, or just head hunger? Or possibly both.

I know that rapid weight loss throws your hormones all out of whack as it is, so add that to all my hormone issues related to insulin resistance/PCOS and I'm really having some cravings. Most weeks I'm fine. Not having cravings, eating my protein and staying on track. Then there's about one week per month I'm fighting cravings right and left. To me it sounds like classic TOM cravings, but I'm not sure since I've never been very regular. So I'm just seeking opinions.

Also, a few weeks ago I reintroduced coffee to my diet. I drink only one cup in the morning. That's all I care for. It's usually a cup of regular coffee with 1-2 Mini Moo's half & half single serving creamers in it.  I have read that for some people coffee (regular and decaf) and creamer can trigger carb cravings. Do you think my cravings are made worse by the caffeinne/coffee?

I know everyone's experience is different, but I could use all the pointers I can get. Thanks! 

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

lizardcc
on 10/2/12 7:57 am - CA
I definitely feel the same way about the cravings around TOM. but I don't the coffee/caffeine has anything to do with it.

HW 271; SW 267; GW 167    
hollirrose
on 10/2/12 9:11 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I feel hungrier and def have more cravings during my TOM. I also seem to have less restriction. I have seen lots of posts on here about it. You should do a quick search and read the advice given. For me, I just drink more water and ignore it. It works...but dang it is hard!
angel85
on 10/2/12 10:16 am - Norfolk, VA
VSG on 05/09/12
My cycle has changed some post op.  I know my cravings are pure head hunger during my TOM.  I would eat ravenously pre-op like I hadn't eaten in  days.  My urge to do so is still there.  As for coffee, it is an appetite suppresant.  I know for me I have had days where I have my morning coffee and get busy doing something and then next thing I know it is dinner time. I know that is not ideal or healthy to do that (trust me it was not on purpose!).  I am very diligent about getting my calories and protein right.
ERnurseMN
on 10/2/12 11:25 am - MN
I definitely crave carbs and more food the week before my period and then as soon as it comes boom I have no appetite. I am having really BAD PMS today and I can't even stand myself so I know it's bad!

CW 232 SW 219    m1-17 m2-14 m3-13 m4-6 m5-9  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 109 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views