My diet before my preop diet..

krkelly29
on 10/1/12 8:00 pm - LA
Okay today I started my diet before my preop diet and I dodnt do good at all... I ate everything. I was sooo hungry.. Im going start over tomorrow and try it again..
mycheeka1
on 10/1/12 8:29 pm
 I would ask myself is this piece of food worth the doctor telling me that he was unable to do the surgery, because my liver wasn't small enough. That got me through many pre op food battles. I think that it is harder pre op because nothing has changed yet. You aren't going to throw up if you eat anything and you are still hungry. I am only a week out from my surgery, but that's how I feel so far. Today is going to be a great day for you, stay strong! You can do it!
(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 8:37 pm - CO
VSG on 09/20/12
 HI,

This journey can be tough! Instead of trying to diet (cold turkey style) why not just start by cutting some of the bad stuff out. Ween yourself off things like sodas, carbs, sugar, etc. This was much easier for me to do when I was in your situation. I tried the cold turkey diet and that just led me to have carb crash hunger, which made me go eat anything and everything!

I cut out bread, then pasta and rice. Just didnt buy it. I slowly gave up soda. Eventually ending sugar right around preop diet time. I followed a paleo diet with some dairy still as cheese made me feel like I was eating a carb. Also, deli meats rolled up with cheese or cream cheese and some dill/parsley/chives, was a fav snack of mine.

Good luck and hang in there it will be over soon. *hugs*

~Red
krkelly29
on 10/1/12 8:49 pm - LA
 Thanks for those kind words.. Ive been beating myself up behind this... Im going 2 try again and just start  cutting bad habits out.. I need this more than anything.. 
MaryContrary80
on 10/1/12 10:16 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
Ok, first of all, pat yourself on the back. You are trying. Some people don't try at all until the pre-op diet. The fact that you are trying to commit to a lifestyle change now, is great! 

Also I agree that you should not be doing any sort of crazy diet at this point. It's really not worth it. I think just pick a couple of baby steps that will help you along the way. For me it was giving up pepsi. That was a big deal for me. I was a pepsi addict so I worked on getting over that, and I have! Honestly I don't even miss it anymore! The other thing I did was start Myfitnesspal and start looking at what I was consuming and started trying to make different choices. I didn't really resrict myself too much until the pre-op diet. Even with just those two small changes I lost just about 10 pounds before starting pre-op, so I was happy with that. 

Anyway, good luck to you!! You can do this, please be kind to yourself in the process. This is all about being good to yourself and your body, not about beating yourself up for your mistakes! 
Keywester
on 10/1/12 10:18 pm
VSG on 12/05/12
My surgery isn't until December and I have been slowly changing things.  I don't drink while I eat any more, I have a protein shake for breakfast most mornings, eating slower etc.  So far the most difficult thing for me is the caffeine.  I have to have my morning cup! 

To combat the hungry feelings have a bottle of water to sip from during the day to keep your stomach full of water.  Tervis has a new line of water bottle tumblers that don't sweat and keep what is inside piping hot or icy cold for a long period of time.

http://www.tervis.com/products/Storefront/25/a5048c8f126ef93 d4115c53fd9d9a5f3  They come in lots of designs etc.  Right now I have a pink breast cancer awareness one on my desk.

Hang in there.  We can do this!
karynh
on 10/1/12 10:59 pm - Tampico, IL
VSG on 09/26/12
two weeks before my preop diet i started having a protein drink for breakfast and lunch and ate a normal dinner. i did this because I did not want to get sick from not eating,
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views