Scheduled for surgery tomorrow - is this normal?

ravenbrown
on 10/7/12 8:50 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12
I already posted about being terrified, but what keeps going through my head today is that I don't want to do this.  Maybe it's because I haven't eaten anything today (clear liquids day before surgery), maybe it's because I'm not supposed to pick up my daughter for at least four weeks, maybe it's just fear but I don't know if this is normal.  Is it normal to feel like you don't want to do this?  I feel like I have to do this because it's tomorrow, but I really feel like I don't want to do this.  I'm not at peace with this.  I'm frankly still totally terrified, and I don't know if this is just me freaking out or what.  I felt so pumped for this for so long, and now that it's hear I kind of just want to run away and hide.  Sorry, I've been a mess all day and I don't know what to do.  Thanks for reading.
Antimony40
on 10/7/12 8:57 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with
I do not have any answers for you as I have not crossed this bridge, but I did want to say good luck, and I hope you find a bit of peace before going to sleep tonight.

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

dianne220
on 10/7/12 9:15 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12
 I was that way the morning of surgery but once I got to the hospital I felt at peace.  You have to do what's right for you.  Can you postpone a week to think about it more?  One thing that helped me was everyone saying on OH they would do it all over again (even the ones with a leak or dehydration).  I'm 5 days post op and my daughter just crawled into my lap.  We cuddled and it worked out great since she was calm.  I wish you the best whatever your decision may be.  I'll be praying for you!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

Grantus
on 10/7/12 9:17 am
Hi Raven

I was pretty nervous in the days leading up to surgery as well. It is scary to go into major surgery.

But the overwhelming odds are that everything will turn out ok. I can understand your concern that you won't be able to pick up your daughter for a few weeks, but look at the long-term benefits. In a few weeks, it'll be easier to pick up your daughter. In 20 or 30 years, you'll be able to dance at her wedding.

I understand the anxiety, but you've worked hard to get to this point!
lisa2job
on 10/7/12 9:36 am, edited 10/7/12 9:37 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12

If your feelings are that strong and persist  tomorrow,  put surgery off unitll you feel better about it... Not sure what is worriing you or scaring you but It has to come from inside you to want this surgery and change ........maybe your not ready today.,  maybe you haven't asked enough questions to know this is what you need to do.....   but please  note that is totally normal for people to fear the unknown and I think its just nerves getting to you,  if you have been on here any amount of time people post things about beign scared before surgery all the time..... what hit me is you said you don't want to do this  .... I say  take a deep breath ,  go take a walk and relax.... slow down..... meditate your answer will come to you what you are to do ... You should be enjoying your journey to a new you and if your answer is that you are not ready then take a few months and try again no shame in that... you have to be ready .......
  I am 47 lbs down and would do this again with no question,  just wondering why the heck I didnt do it before....

Hope you find your answer only you can say if your ready......

mycheeka1
on 10/7/12 9:37 am
Fear of the unknown is powerful thing. I didn't think that I didn't want to do it prior to surgery, I just thought how scared I was to get it done and what would my life look like afterwards. I also was scared to death not to get it done, because I knew that I had tried to lose the weight on my own for years without success. I just trusted all the research that I had done and took value in the people on OH and that it seems to be an adjustment in the beginning, but then the multitudes would say how amazing it is and that they are so happy that they did it. I can tell you that tomorrow I will be 2 weeks put, and I have lost 13.4 pounds, including my pre op, I have lost a total of 24.4 pounds in approx. 3 weeks. I'm thrilled. I will start my soft/mushy phase on Tuesday, only liquids so far. Ready to chew something, anything! As far as not being able to lift up your daughter, I know that will be hard, but just imagine all the things that you will be able to do with your daughter after you lose weight. My son is 12 and when I asked him the thing that he looking forward to doing with me after I lose weight is to run together. He loves to run. How can you deny that wish? You have to do what is right for you, I wish you all the. Est of luck in whatever your decision is. Remember you have friends here routing for you, you are not alone! BTW, I haven't had any complications since my surgery.
lucy2e
on 10/7/12 9:43 am - Laurel, MD
First I want to say - you do not have to do this.  It is your choice and you can back out.

Why did you want to do this to start?  I assume that it is because you are obese and are having health issues or know that they are just around the corner - that this isn't a "vanity" surgery just to look better.

I can tell you I was nervous for awhile before surgery - I had never even had a stitch, so the thought of being cut open really made me nervous.  I'm a single mom and knew if anything happened to me it would devistate my daughter.  I had to think about my surgery objectively and logically (that's tough when so many emotions are going around in your heart and mind).  I realized that VSG has a very low mortality rade - less then 1%.  It also has a very low complication rate - less then 5%.  If I didn't have the VSG I wouldn't have lost the weight - I would 100% chance of developing diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure or any of the miriad of other obesity related disease.  Any or all of these would shorten my life.  I knew to have a happier, healthier life and a  longer life with my daughter, that I needed to take this small risk.  

On June 1, 2011 I had the sleeve.  I had no problems, no complication other than a small infection at the drain tube site that antibiotics cleared right up.  I have never once regretted getting the sleeve - it has changed my life in more ways than I could have imagined.  It is a blessing and the best gift I have ever given to myself.

I hope my story helps you to find peace and clarify your decision! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

jolenecsky
on 10/7/12 10:02 am - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12
I felt the exact same way!! The anxiety was pretty bad on the day of surgery. I just knew I was making a horrible mistake. But I am a stubborn person, and I decided that I had come this far and I sure wasn't going to back down now! I think it's completely normal to be freaking out the days before and on surgery day. The anticipation is just awful. But I am now almost 8 weeks out, and I DO NOT regret it!! Be prepared for the first couple of weeks to be hard. But I promise that this will be the best thing you ever did for yourself! I have lost 43 lbs since my surgery, and I have so much energy. I don't obsess about food all the time. Unless it's protein lol. Good luck my dear!! My sister is having VSG surgery tomorrow as well, so I will say a prayer for you!

DOS: 8/15/12

happyteacher
on 10/7/12 10:24 am
 Hang in there.   For most folks around here you feel pretty normal at around 2 weeks- a very small price to pay for life long health.  If it helps this is how i went into surgery- I knew that I would be knocked out and wouldn't feel a thing.  I knew I would wake up groggy, maybe a little pain, maybe a little naseua- but it would be over with.  From that very moment I knew I would become heathier each minute that passed.  Looking forward to having you join us on the loser's bench!  Life is good over here!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/12 10:43 am - Musquash, NB, Canada
VSG on 10/02/12
 Hi,

I just want to address the picking up your daughter part. I was in a horrible car accident in 1997 my daughter was not quite two years old. I could not even lift a piece of paper (I had wrist injuries... and injuries all they way down to my ankles) I still have horrible back pains to this day. She is now 17. What I did with her, is get her to come to me, for the hugs and our special times, This, I believe, taught her independence. She is confident, strong and supported me through my surgery. WOW!!! I pretty much cut this poor little girl off of piggy back rides and little things like that. But I had no choice. You do and you are doing this to give them a better life, and be able to be there for them when they need you. If I only had one month to give up carrying Bree, I am sure I would because everything we went through made me the person I am today and let me tell you, she is an amazing girl. You only have a month of this.... you will hold her and carry her again.

My daughter now supports me when I need her. I can walk (almost to a jog too-pre-op that is) and lift some... but I am hoping that in time losing all this excess weight may prolong my life so I can continue to see what she becomes. Sure, I wi**** never happened. But it did... and things didn't turn out so bad overall.

It will be OK... hang in there!!!

Danielle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views