Am I over planning?? I need HELP!

Cinderella50
on 10/8/12 6:58 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 I am going out of town on a conference tomorrow with 3 co-workers. I have not eaten out since my surgery , 8/29. This week all meals will be eaten out, and we will be in training during the day and my choices may be very limited. I think I'm panicking a bit, but want to be prepared so I stay on my plan. SO, I am bringing a small cooler (the hotel room doesn't have a fridge), putting in some cheese sticks and sliced turkey. I'm also bringing protein shakes, the ones you just add milk or water to in a bottle already, some no sugar added fruit cups and some protein bars. I'm hoping these things will get me through breakfast and lunch. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Or am I planning too much?
Thanks for the help!!

RedStar98
on 10/8/12 7:10 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12
I like the premade protein shakes for convenience, just keep them in the cooler, no mixxing, just shake them up.  I use EAS AdvantagEdge (Dark Choc, milk choc) they have strawberry and vanilla also, 17g protein, 110 calories.  I also like as a treat the Atkins caramel cafe latte protein shake, with 16g, it's a little more calories at 130 (I think), but so yummy.

Sounds like you're prepared, and you can never be too prepared!  Have a great time!

Carol

Cinderella50
on 10/8/12 7:13 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thanks, I have the Atkins Carmel Cafe latte, and I know to just shake those, then I'll pour it over ice, but I also have About Time shakes that are the powder in a plastic bottle and you DO add the milk and shake, then throw the bottle away! I think that is a great product for travel, that way you're not carrying a heavy bottle. But I do have both and am bringing them all!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/8/12 7:12 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I would do exactly what you are doing. In fact I am sure I will find myself in such a situation soon enough so buying a small cooler now in preparation!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Cinderella50
on 10/8/12 7:13 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 LOL! Didn't mean to make anyone spend $$$$$

Amy 2bhealthy
on 10/8/12 7:20 am - STL Metro, IL
VSG on 09/13/12
I just came back from a work conference last week for 5 days. It is not the easiest thing, but do-able. I was 3 weeks postop. 

I separated out portions of cottage cheese and yogurt into 1/2 cups and took those, cheese sticks, laughing cow wedges (love these!), and protein shakes. For supper, I either ate the others things I brought or I went to Red Lobster and Hooters with some coworkers and ordered the crab legs.... they were SO good!! And keeps you more distracted by having to work at getting the meat out, that you don't feel like you are just sitting there while everyone else is eating. Do you like tuna or chicken salad? They have those premade pouches of tuna that are pretty good and also the small cans (I like the pouches better). Also for supper, I have since ordered tilapia and it was good too.

I think overplanning is better than underplanning and not being prepared. You are doing good! Good luck! 

Amy

Revision: Realize band to VSG....loving my sleeve!! 

Cinderella50
on 10/8/12 12:33 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thank you those are great ideas.

Italian-Princess
on 10/8/12 7:43 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
I think you have planned well.  May I suggest that you call the hotel you'll stay at and ask them if they provide mini-fridges for guests with health issues...........for example, people who take insulin need to keep it in a refrigerator.  Most hotels offer these if you ask...........most people don't ask though.  I have yet to stay at a hotel that didn't have portable fridges for this purpose.  I never had insulin as part of my Type II, but when asked, I simply told them I was dealing with Diabetes -- I didn't say it was Type II -- and the mini-fridge was brought up quickly.  I'd tell them that you've recently had surgery and there are things you need to keep cold as part of your program.  It's true, but you don't need to go into specifics.

Just a thought............

Ree
Christine Heusinger
on 10/8/12 8:17 am - GA
 Ree, THANK YOU! I would never have thought to ask management to bring me a small fridge!! What a fabulous idea!!!
Cinderella50
on 10/8/12 12:34 pm - NY
VSG on 08/29/12
 Thanks Ree, 
I did call and ask if the rooms had fridges, and they said no, I didn't think to say I needed one for health reasons. I will go with the cooler this time and see if I can get one when I'm there. If not, I'll know for next time!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views