Clear liquids

Bella_Fein
on 11/2/12 2:46 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

My date isn't even scheduled yet, but I'm a planner. I have to have everything ready at least a month in advance. I know I will be on clear liquids, probably at least 2 weeks. What does that consist of? I know clear liquids, duh, but what specifically falls under a clear liquid. I think I'm over analyzing.

Chicken broth? Isopure? A lot of the clear liquid protein drinks I see are 20 ounce bottles. Is that really something my new tiny tummy will be able to handle or will I be sipping on that all day? If so, how am I supposed to get in all my protein plus an additional 64 ounces of liquids? Do the 20 ounce bottles of protein count towards my 64 ounces?

Gah!!! I'm so overwhelmed.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mickeymantle
on 11/2/12 3:28 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

the protein  counts as a liquid ,

your nut should tell you about  what to eat drink, I just started the process and first seen my surgeon  last week but I got a hand book with lots of this info , per op diet post op diet, what to bring to the hospital, ect. 

im still at least 6 months before surgery , plus there is lots of info on this forum, take it easy you have plenty of time to get

liquids every doctor has his own plan

crystal light with unflavored protein works for most  , so is sf jello( not red flavors)

BonnieSc
on 11/2/12 10:21 pm
VSG on 11/05/12

I'm doing my preopp liquids now.  My Dr only requires 3 days of liquids before surgery.  I can have protein shakes 3 or 4 times a day plus SF Jello, SF popsicles, crystal light, broth, water  all the normal clear liquids.  Your Dr and nut will tell you what you can have when the time comes.  Not sure about what I'll be able to hold after surgery.  I'll let you know next week.  :-)

ravenbrown
on 11/3/12 12:02 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I did two weeks of clear liquids post op. I had no difficulties swallowing and would drink a 20 ounce bottle of isopure and get my other protein from unflavored protein in broth. I got all my fluids in. Your surgeon will most likely not expect you to get in all 70 grams of protein during this phase. Your big concern will be staying hydrated. Your nutritionist or surgeon will give a list of what is allowed. 

Cinderella50
on 11/3/12 12:26 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

Calm down, it will all work out. As for clear liquids pre-op, check with your doctor, but mostly it is anything clear and sugar free, juice doesn't usually count due to high sugar content, but some doctors do allow it, so check with yours. As for post-op, you probably won't get a 20 oz. bottle in, maybe if you sip it all day, but just after surgery, it is doubtful. The main thing after surgery is the amount of fluids you get in more than the protein for the first week. You want to prevent dehydration. So you will sip fluid all day long, if you get in some protein, yeah!! After the first week, you will be able to eat some mushy foods, about 2 oz at a time or so. Make sure that is high protein foods, such as tuna, chicken, beef, etc. that you puree in the food processor with some broth or other liquid to keep it moist. Greek yogurt is higher in protein than other yogurts so you will want those. Don't plan on getting a whole one in right after surgery, it took me a month before I could finish a whole one.

I hope some of this helps you. It is very confusing and overwhelming, but you are doing the right thing by researching now to be prepared later. I'm sure you will get alot of responses on here. But,  If I can help you with more questions, please ask!

Bella_Fein
on 11/3/12 12:37 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Thank you everyone. After making my frantic post. I spent an ridiculous amount of time googling. I found the same thing pretty much everywhere. I was on a site for a hospital and it said their clear liquid diet consist of skim milk three times a day. I know I will speak with my doctor/nut about all of this. I'm a planner and like to have things done well in advance; If I don't I start to panic. I'm the type that is 30 minutes early to work. If I get there only 15 minutes early I feel rushed, like I'm actually late.

Clear Liquid Diet

• Broth, consomme or bullion
  • Herbal tea (no cream or sugar)
  • Water
  • Clear juices without pulp such as apple juice, cranberry juice or grape juice. No nectars are permitted; remember the juice must be transparent
  • Strained citrus juice
  • Jell-o or other gelatins
  • Clear sports drinks
  • Flat, light colored soft drinks (no cola, no carbonation)
  • Ices - Fruit ices made from fruit juice without pulp or chunks of fruit, or popsicles made from clear juices.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views