70 pounds gone but so is my hair

Angel1974
on 11/18/12 10:27 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Hi guys,  I haven't seen you in awhile.  A little update.  I am down to 160 pounds for a total lost of 70 pounds.  I am officially 30 pounds from goal.

I love my new life, i go out almost every weekend.  I have made new friends, found new interest, LOVE, LOVE shopping now.  I like the fact that I can now run, do squats, lunges, planks and I feel stronger after.  I love the fact that I can walk to a store and find stuff the fit.

The only serious problem I am having is that all my hair is falling out.  BY THE HAND FULL.  I am freaking out because I cannot even brush my hair without a clumps of hair coming out.  I am afraid to pass my hand through my hair, my hair is everywhere it is in my shower, my pillow in the morning.   Any suggestions to stop this?

Follow my progress on my youtube channel
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCARrPUdk_U

dcsabrina
on 11/18/12 11:14 pm - MD

How much protein are you getting daily? Should be at least 70g and many say 80 and even 100. Also, if you're not already doing so, try a biotin supplement. Usually this is low in most multivitamin so a supplement can help. Also, review your numbers to see if you're getting the minimum fat needed for basic functions.

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

lala285
on 11/19/12 4:41 am - OK
VSG on 08/06/12

Hair loss is just kind of something that comes with the WLS territory with the rapid weight loss and all. However, making sure you get adequate protein and all your vitamins and minerals is very important. Have you had blood work done recently? That way your doctor can tell if you have any deficiencies. As the previous poster commented, make sure you are getting enough protein every day. I've noticed my hair thinning a little, but not a ton, and I think the fact that I am strict about taking my vitamins and getting enough protein really helps. I take a multivitamin, iron, biotin, vitamin D, B12, and calcium daily, and I also take zinc every 3rd day. Good luck!

HW: 291   SW: 273   CW: 168  GW: 153

M1: -22 lbs   M2: -18 lbs  M3: -13 lbs  M4: -10 lbs  M5: -5 lbs   M6: -9 lbs  M7: -5 lbs  M8: -9 lbs  M9: -10 lbs  M10: +3 lbs M11: ? M12: -2 lbs  Stair-step loser.

Sutterbos
on 11/19/12 5:04 pm
VSG on 06/21/12

You can't stop it, but you won't go bald.  We have way more hair than we think we do.  Mine has been falling out for almost 2 months and no one even notices.  My sister's fell out for about 3-4 months then stopped.  It's just a rite of passage with WLS. 

I did go to my hair stylist and get a deep conditioning treatment and some great shampoo and conditioner for thinning hair.  It won't slow it down or stop it, but what I have left is in great condition!  Shiny and full and very soft.

Hang in there!!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 46 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views