So some people NOT see me??

Cinderella50
on 11/25/12 7:55 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

I have noticed that when I see people I haven't seen for a while, most make comments, ask my secret or just right out compliment me on my weight loss. I am curious about those who say nothing. Do they NOT see me? Do they just not care? Do they not know what to say? I find it interesting.

LDallas
on 11/25/12 8:29 am
VSG on 10/25/12
Maybe they dont want to embarrass or insult you, implying you were overweight in the first place. I've lost 30, and can sure see it on kyself, but no one has commented on it! It's frustrating. At some point they'll HAVE to!!

SW (10/25/12)......303  size 24/26. Age 50

CW: 225  size 14/16

F/5'10"

Cinderella50
on 11/25/12 10:59 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

Maybe, but I think they know, I know I'm fat. Less fat now! Maybe they don't know what to say, but at this point they have to notice! Good luck o you. They will notice soon, a few people started asking me at the 30lb. Mark if I was losing weight. Now at 50 they know I am.

JAlston
on 11/25/12 10:00 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Honestly, in my opinion (and I know this is terrible) but sometimes it is because of jealously, just plain not wanting to recognize the change you have made. Unfortunately, I have many family members like this. Weight has always been an issue for most of us and any time someone loses weight, everyone hates on that person. I live 550 miles away and only my mother, sister and bff know I am having surgery. I am going to visit at 6 months post op and surprise the crap out of everyone...let's see them not say anything then! 

Keep up the great work!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Cinderella50
on 11/25/12 11:02 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

I thought that of my sisters. They ones that have obesity issues would be jealous. But coworkers? Boy, I hope that's not the case. I am so supportive of everyone's struggles with healthy eating. Even the skinny ones who wanton healthier. I'd hate to have haters for my weightless success at work. There must be work stuff to hate me for.

Good luck in your struggle. I hope your family can be supportive.

JAlston
on 11/25/12 11:15 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Unfortunately, I have run into some issues with non-supportive co-workers as well. For instance, I am 135 lbs overweight. I have never been able to lose more then 30 lbs and keep it off. I have a co-worker who is against me having surgery because she thinks it is the easy way out and "it doesn't count". I told her I don't care what she thinks because as long as the number on the scale goes down and I am healthier that is all I care about.

She is heavier as well and used to work at a weight loss clinic, she had the nerve to tell me that she used to deny individuals 6 month approval process of a weight loss program if she felt "they didn't try hard enough". I was furious! I reamed her a new one, who does she think she is?! Some people are just haters in my opinion...seems to be for no reason at all!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

furrynana
on 11/25/12 10:21 am

I've noticed that also, and this is what I think.  I think people don't see much variation between obese and somewhat obese.  No one really said much to me until I hit the 40-50 lb weight loss mark - then everyone noticed all at once.  I think that was the tipping point when  I went from being a fat person to being a typical weight person in their eyes.  Maybe you just haven't reached that mark for those people yet. 

Cinderella50
on 11/25/12 11:05 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

Agree with you, they don't really see it until 40 or more lbs. At the 30 mark people would ask me if I was losing weight. But there is such a difference at 50 lbs. I have moved down 3 sizes, people are noticing and commenting, then the others. I don't know. I know I still have weight to lose, but I'm half way there! I might just muster up some courage and ask one of them what they think of my weightloss!

Thanks!

sevencats
on 11/25/12 11:03 am

I've known some people who choose not to comment on weight loss because they believe that to do so suggests that thinner people are somehow of more value than larger people; they don't want to add to the incredible body consciousness that our culture already has. 

Cinderella50
on 11/25/12 11:12 am - NY
VSG on 08/29/12

Thanks. I didn't think of that. But it is a good point.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 379 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views